Honored Contributor

I have some friends that use Hello Fresh and mostly like it.  It does kinda depend on when UPS delivers in your area.  They often deliver late in my neighborhood which would be a problem for me if I was intending on cooking it the day of delivery.

Honored Contributor

I would like to try one.  However, hubby and I are not adventerous eaters and some of the meals that I've seen probably wouldn't appeal to us.   It's just hubby and me and I don't like cooking on a daily basis.  We eat dinner out a lot or pick up take out meals from nice restaurants or have something delivered.  I love my Delivery. yada yada.    I don't think it's more expensive than cooking would be because there's always enough for dinner and lunch the next day.  My bff lives alone and she does use one of those meal delivery services.  Just a couple of meals a week.  She's retired and  learning to cook and she loves that all the ingredients for a meal come in the box.  She doesn't have to run around shopping for this and that or try to figure out what to cook. 

Super Contributor

After reading all the response and doing some research, I think we will stick with take-out. Some of the meals look good...others not so good. I just wish I were a more adventerous cook. I feel like we have the same things over and over again. But, with the price of groceries, sometimes I scared to venture out of my comfort zone as I'm afraid we won't like it. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

@MercysMom wrote:

After reading all the response and doing some research, I think we will stick with take-out. Some of the meals look good...others not so good. I just wish I were a more adventerous cook. I feel like we have the same things over and over again. But, with the price of groceries, sometimes I scared to venture out of my comfort zone as I'm afraid we won't like it. 

You sound a lot like me.  I have thousands of recipes, but I cook the same 4 or 5 all the time.

Frequent Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Yes! I've used three different services. The quality has been exceptional in every case.

Some services send you complete, perfectly measured ingredients, and directions to do your own cooking. If you haven't cooked much, these do not make cooking simpler, but the shopping and (especially) the deciding what to make both go away and cooking is all you have to do. Plus you will probably make things you'd never tackle on your own. Portions, in my experience, are very sufficient.

Other services send things partially cooked. This makes the process much faster and overall much easier than planning and shopping on your own, with potentially with better results.

Still other services send you good meals ready to warm up. Easiest of all, of course, and can be as good or better than you can manage on your own. I'm very appreciative of these when I'm sick or extra-superbusy. Probably better than anything ready to heat from the grocery store, though Trader Joe has some pretty good stuff. Sometimes designed to deal with specific nutritiional requirements and make that easy.

Ubereats is comparable in price and just a delivery system. Restaurant meals are often higher in calories than any of the above, and can arrive quite "wilted" depending on how long they sit in the car. Okay for some things, or for an unexpected need, but the other services seem better generally, to me at least.

Least desirable--in fact I find them unacceptable--are most grocery store meals and frozen ready to eat food, including everything I've tried from QVC.

Yes, these are all expensive options compared to shopping and cooking, and if you are anything of a cook, you can usually do better for yourself. But if you can afford them, experiment and try them out. One of my friends used Blue Apron to teach herself not to be afraid to cook new things! You might like it yourself.

Very detailed review. Thanks!