Contributor

Making Bread . Problem Solving

Anyone here good at making bread, the old fashioned way or bread machine? My DH loves to make bread, and is trying very hard to perfect a way to make good wheat bread (and I think his white bread needs some help too). The problem with the white bread is that it tastes too "yeasty" and he wants more holes in it. The wheat bread is like a rock..heavy and too strong tasiting...like wheat flour or yeast etc. It sometimes smells yeasty too. We have a varitey of bread cookbooks and he is always online loooking for new reicipes. He also likes to experiment with the balance of yeast, sugar etc.he has played with adding honey, and dry milk vs. milk, etc. He uses the machine sometimes, othertimes not. So far, not too much success.

I don't want to discourage him but I would llike him to make some bread that is more enjoyable..without all the experiementing....( I am getting tired of tossing out bread or trying to eat it or make croutons etc..)

Can anyone here suggest a reliable recipie for either wheat or white bread that will rise well, and will not taste like yeast? Or, can anyone tell me from personal experience what might be wrong with his bread? Have researched online and so much different/conflicting info is very frustrating. I would prefer to just buy it, or skip it, but since he enjoys this...I thought I would try to help him out........

Thanks

RJU