Honored Contributor

Looks like I'll be needing a countertop turkey roaster for Thanksgiving.....

............which one is your favorite? 

I'll need AT LEAST an 18 quart model, and I'll have to buy in a local store. I'd be afraid it wouldn't be here in time if I tried to order online.

SO- Hamilton Beach? Sunbeam? Some other brand?

Sing out, Dear Ladies! Make my turkey a success!

Regular Contributor

Re: Looks like I'll be needing a countertop turkey roaster for Thanksgiving.....

This might not be the style you're looking for, but we had an office potluck luncheon this past week and someone used the NuWave Oven (it's a countertop roaster).  This is the 2nd year in a row that they used it to roast a turkey and it came out very juicy and flavorful!  I asked how big of a turkey could be put in there, and he said up to 16 lbs.

Respected Contributor

Re: Looks like I'll be needing a countertop turkey roaster for Thanksgiving.....

@Mesmerize wrote:

This might not be the style you're looking for, but we had an office potluck luncheon this past week and someone used the NuWave Oven (it's a countertop roaster).  This is the 2nd year in a row that they used it to roast a turkey and it came out very juicy and flavorful!  I asked how big of a turkey could be put in there, and he said up to 16 lbs.

I 2nd the recommendation on the NuWave Oven.  I purchased mine when it was the TSV here, the Pro model.  I intentionally got it early enough to test cooking a turkey in it.  I cooked a 14 pound turkey in it, from frozen, in 4 hours and it was the best turkey I've ever made.

Respected Contributor

I third that.. I actually have the Fa gor (can you believe they won't let me spell that?!) Which is like the NuWave but Halogen and glass...not just for roasting, but I use it for just about everything! It won't sit on a shelf waiting till nextvThanksgiving, that's for sure....
Honored Contributor

If it's an oven-space problem you could always do the turkey the day before.   That's what I do now, not for a lack of space but because of my physical limitations.  It has been very freeing to spread the cooking out over 3 days.

I pick mine up on Monday (pre-ordered), brine it Tues night, and roast it Wed.  That way I have all the carving done ahead of time and I don't have to worry about it in the last bit of time before dinner is ready.

I just put some in a baking dish, sealed up, in the refrigerator.  Then, on Thursday, when I'm baking the dressing in the oven, there is plenty of room for the turkey that we'll be using that day.  I hit it with a splash of stock, put the glass cover on the baking dish, and in it goes to heat back up.  If you have a nice, flavorful, turkey it will heat up beautifully.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would do as chickenbutt suggested and cook it the day before.  I would be afraid of trying a new countertop roaster for something as important as a Thanksgiving turkey.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I always have a Nesco roaster. They are easy to clean and last for years and years.

Honored Contributor

Costco has a Hamilton Beach 18 qt right now for I think 38 dollars. Of course if you have Prime you will have a wide selection of choices from Amazon and will get it before Thanksgiving. I don't own one I can't recommend a brand. We always do our turkey on the smoker. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Nesco. I think it's a great brand.  

I've had the best results when I didn't choose the largest turkey I could fit in the roaster. It works better IMO if there is room for air to circulate around the turkey, including the top of the turkey, so it gets a browned appearance and crispy skin. So a turkey up to about 16 lb. turkey works better than one of 20-22 lb. in my experience.

Having said that, lately I've gone back to using my regular oven to roast turkey. (That way, I can choose a huge turkey and DH gets lots of leftovers lol.)  I put dressing in the oven as soon as the turkey's done, and heat up rolls during the last 10-15 minutes. Meat needs a resting period after cooking, and the larger the piece of meat/bird, the longer it needs for the juices to settle in. Plus we need time to carve the turkey, which we do in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks SO much to you all!

Here's what I did- I was afraid I wouldn't get it in time if I didn't shop today, so I went to Walmart this morning.

They had dozens of one style for $25. Then I looked around a little bit and found  an OSTER 18 quart/24 pound turkey roaster. No price tag.

The Oster gets very high reviews where it's sold, so fingers crossed.nm m 

I found myself a salesperson, and when she scanned it she said it was supposed to be $39 but because it was the last one, it was $29.

We are buying it because our hostess is expecting, and is continuously starved for turkey but can't stand the smell of the bird roasting.

We're going to be roasting the bird in the back yard.

I will be doing a small turkey Sunday, and we will hack the meat off it and freeze it. We will do the "test run" to be sure the thing works.

Can't wait!

wanted to add- if this were for ME, I'd want the Nesco or Nu Wave, but time is my enemy!