Honored Contributor

Loin of Pork ~ how do you cook it?

Great day for the FoodNetwork website to be malfunctioning. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

I haven't made a loin of pork in many years. Normally, I buy the skinny tenderloins.

How would you prep and cook a loin of pork to get the tastiest results?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

Re: Loin of Pork ~ how do you cook it?

I make a rub of Sage, Fresh Ground Pepper & Sea Salt. Coat liberally, place in roasting pan & cover @ 350 until meat thermometer reads 170. To one side of the pan I also place plenty of sage dressing. If you are looking to count calories, I would cook dressing separately. My boys always ask me to do it this way for the holiday. Merry Christmas!
Respected Contributor

I don't like this cut done in the oven; there is not enough fat on modern pork to make a moist roast. However, moist cooking can work well, and I like a recipe from America's Test Kitchen that is very good this time of year: Pork Loin with Cranberries and Orange.

• 1(4 1/2- to 5-pound) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and tied at 1-inch intervals
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1(14-ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 1/2cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2cup orange juice
  • 3(3-inch-long) strips orange zest, trimmed of white pith
  • 1/8teaspoon cinnamon

1. 1. Dry pork with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown pork well on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.

2. Stir cranberry sauce, cranberries, orange juice, orange zest, and cinnamon into slow cooker. Nestle browned pork into slow cooker. Cover and cook until pork is tender and registers 140 to 145 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 4 hours on low.

3. Transfer pork to cutting board, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard orange zest. Transfer braising liquid to saucepan and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. Remove twine from pork, slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and arrange on serving platter. Spoon 1 cup sauce over meat and serve with remaining sauce.

Honored Contributor

If i do oven roast it, should I brown it first in a skillet?
~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Mine is very basic and simple. Lay the roast in a pan. Season as desired (I usually use a dry pork rub). Cut up an onion into chunks, put some on either side of the meat. Do the same with a few ribs of celery. Repeat the process with a few carrots (or just open a bag of baby carrots and scatter some on each side of the meat). Put a tiny bit of water in the pan. Put the pan in a preheated oven and roast for the appropriate amount of time (roasting charts are available online). When the meat is done, strain out the pieces of veggies and use all the remaining liquid to make a tasty gravy. I make this at least once a month.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, JLF. That answers my question. There is no need to brown it first.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I only roast pork loin, season with pepper, put on a rack in baking pan, and roast about 30 min. per pound!

Trusted Contributor

My SILs mother does what JLF said about the onion, carrot, celery for the water content along with a cup of white wine but she puts hers in the pressure cooker and an hour later, its tender, moist and delicious.

Honored Contributor

Boneless Pork Loin with Peach Glaze

1 cup peach preserves

2 tablespoons honey

Juice of 1 small lemon

1 boneless pork loin roast, about 3 pounds

Salt and pepper, to taste

In a medium saucepan, combine the peach preserves, honey, and lemon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside.

Heat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil.

Sprinkle the pork roast with salt and pepper. Place the roast, fat side up, in the prepared pan. Roast for 1 hour.

Brush the roast all over with the peach glaze mixture. Continue roasting for about 30 to 40 minutes, brushing with glaze frequently.

A meat thermometer should read 160° when inserted in the center of the roast.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I finally settled on a dry rub of garlic powder, oregano, cumin, thyme and coriander. It turned out beautifully. I was careful to use a thermometer and not overcook it.

On the downside, my mom ate one small slice and dad had trouble eating it, because he needs soft food these days... so I have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of it left over. Half of it isn't even sliced, so I'll freeze that for another time. If anyone has a clever recipe for leftover pork loin, I'd love to have it.

~ house cat ~