Super Contributor

Kitchen Scale Recommendations?

I want a scale for conversion of amounts in recipes that call for gram weights rather than teaspoons, cups, etc.  Any suggestions?

Regular Contributor

Re: Kitchen Scale Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought a Cook Time digital kitchen scale from Amazon. Paid $15 for it, now it's $9.99.

Good deal. Weighs in gms, ounces, kg, lbs. Easy tare function. Weighs up to 22 pounds, although I've never tried that kind of weight.

Here is the ASIN number--B07G2YTDQM

search on Cook Time Digital scale.

hope this helps

Dragonfly

edited to add: I reread your post. Are you looking for a scale that actually does the mathematical conversion for you? If so, I don't know of any. I typically bake in metric, so I either look for a metric recipe or I convert it myself or use a US to metric converter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The digital scale I use has a 'button' on it where you can change the units of weight to display either grams, ounces, pounds or fluid-ounces. Cup and spoon measurements are not weight units but volume units converted to milliliters or liters which are not displayed on scales which give the weights of things. Comparing apples to oranges.

If you need to know how much a teaspoon of sugar weighs then you need to take a teaspoon of sugar and weigh that on a scale or find a chart somewhere which already has that figured out for you already. Keep in mind that a teaspoon of sugar will weigh more than a teaspoon of flour. It's all about the density of the substance you're weighing.

Super Contributor

Very good tips from both of you. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@bluetail fly About a month ago Williams-Sonoma had a very flat, small scale and we had a big clunky one that we hated.  I had some rebates and it was on sale so I bought it.

We keep it on the counter and use it every day for portioning food and making bread.  It works great. It has a function where you can wave your hand and it will go back to zero--which is wondeful if you shadow doesn't fall on it, but we learned quickly and love the scale.

It comes in black or white and my husband is nuts about it!

Honored Contributor

Look for a volume and weight scale. That kind will have preprogrammed measurements for a variety of food ingredients so you have the conversions at your fingertips. Here's an example of one sold on amazon:

Escali Pana V136 Large Volume Measuring Kitchen/Baking/Cooking Scale, Preprogrammed with Over 500 Ingredients, LCD Digital Display, 13lb Capacity, Universal, Light Grey

Escali Pana V136 Large Volume Measuring Kitchen/Baking/Cooking Scale, Preprogrammed with Over 500 Ingredients, LCD Digital...

Trusted Contributor

I have a Cuisinart that is battery operated, comes with a removeable bowl (can be a flat scale, too) auto shut off, toggle between ounces and grams and can do the tare weight.  I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond.  When my dad got put on a restricted diet, I bought the same one for my mom.  It's easy to use.  

Super Contributor

You ladies and gentlemen are wonderful. Many thanks.