Valued Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. I need help!

@rplas64 wrote:

I bought mine from Qvc a little under 2 yrs ago. It's the 325 W 5qt. I see they still have it but most colors are sold out. I'm sure they'll get more in though. It's K41486, take a look at the video and see what you think. I bought the Plumberry one and it's beautiful.

I purchased this model, too, when it was the TSV about four years ago, and it fits perfectly on my counter under the kitchen cabinets.  Keep in mind that the more powerful machines,  e.g.,  the "professional" models, are taller.  The professional model wouldn't fit under my cabinets.

Super Contributor

I have had my kitchen aid mixer about 40 yrs. It is a 250 watt mixer. I am not an advid baker but have used it quite a bit over the yrs. I would recomend a lift mixer and a metal bowl so that you don't break it.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I like stainless steel mixer bowls, mixing bowls, kitchen sinks, don't stain, dishwasher safe, can't break them. Practical, that's me.

Honored Contributor

I have had the tilt head model and the bowl lift.  If you bake larger batches of bread and cookies and such you can't beat the bigger lift-bowl models.  They are far superior for this kind of thing.  We use the grinder attachment a lot too.  The shredder is worthless.

PLEASE ask her what she wants.  It is an expensive investment in a big kithen appliance and she will have it for years and use it often. ASK her what kind she wants, what size, and please what color!  It is too important a buy to go for a surprise rather than get what she really wants.

I guarantee she will be excited for a long time!  Give it to her in advance so she can bake her Christmas goodies, then "surprise" her with a new attachment and some kitchen towels and tools in her KA color!   What a great gift!!!  My mom got me a blue tilt head for a housewarming gift in 1991.  I was SOOOOOOOO happy!!!

Super Contributor

Thank all of you so much. I have looked at your suggestions. They have given me some guidance as to which way to go. I know that my daughter bakes lots of cookies and cakes for Little League, Girl Scouts, etc. I'm not sure if she bakes bread. She lives out of state. I'll have to ask a few well placed and subtle questions. 

Again, thank all of you. Your advice is much appreciated. I will continue to check in here for a couple of days and I'll let you know what I decide.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would go for the most powerful mixer that comes with the most attachments ! What is she going to use it for? That's where you should start as far as attachments. The one thing I would never go without is the splatter guard! The basic attachments that most mixers come with are good enough for me and my needs. I bake cookies and cakes mostly. Mine also came with a dough hook, but I haven't used it yet. If you think she'd need others, they can be added for a later gift! The tilt or lift top only matters if you know where she plans to keep it. If she will leave it on the counter and use it frequently, then the tilt top is probably better for her. I have the lift top and I have to pull it out from under my cabinets in order to change beaters.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

The spiral dough hooks are wonderful!  I know the bigger mixers use them, but I don't know about the smaller ones.  They are super because the dough doesn't climb up the hook and the kneading action is better too.

A splatter guard?  I have one I use every time I use my mixer!  ME!!!!!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Tell her to read directions in the use and care book.

If not set right at the factory she may have to turn the big screw underneath the motor head to raise or lower the beaters. Seems like I have to do that whenever I use a different size bowl or different beater.

Mine arrived from Q broken I had to send back to Kitchen Aid they went ahead and sent me a new one and return postage label for the one that was defective. I just had to wait longer.

I wish Cuisinart would come out with a small bowl. They're made better then Kitchen Aid. Quality, has went down thru the yrs. but, then, so has everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have had the tilt head model and the bowl lift.  If you bake larger batches of bread and cookies and such you can't beat the bigger lift-bowl models.  They are far superior for this kind of thing.  We use the grinder attachment a lot too.  The shredder is worthless.

PLEASE ask her what she wants.  It is an expensive investment in a big kithen appliance and she will have it for years and use it often. ASK her what kind she wants, what size, and please what color!  It is too important a buy to go for a surprise rather than get what she really wants.

I guarantee she will be excited for a long time!  Give it to her in advance so she can bake her Christmas goodies, then "surprise" her with a new attachment and some kitchen towels and tools in her KA color!   What a great gift!!!  My mom got me a blue tilt head for a housewarming gift in 1991.  I was SOOOOOOOO happy!!!

I agree!

Honored Contributor

Just go to your local B,B&B. I got my latest KitchenAid mixer there just a few months ago. I wanted the aqua color, had to order it but it was at my doorstep in a few days. I was able to use my 20% off coupons for everything I bought! Can't beat it!

"Pure Michigan"