Honored Contributor

Kale salad - any last minute tips?

I watched a YouTube video about making kale salad. Evidently, you need to massage the kale with olive oil or it's too tough to eat.

Has anyone made it? Is there anything else I should know before I make a great big mess?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Kale salad - any last minute tips?

I have made curried kale slaw, and it's delicious, but never a kale salad. I've only added it with other greens. I would suggest that you cut the pieces pretty small for the oldsters.

Frequent Contributor

The massaging part is critical. I add thinly sliced Granny Smith apples.
Super Contributor

The longer the salad can sit the softer the kale gets and the flavors really are enhanced. My SIL made one and it was actually better the next day! good luck!

Valued Contributor

I make Kale salads quite a bit. For me (and the recipes I started out using), my best kale salads are those that are allowed to sit with the evoo or dressing on it for some time before serving. Check out Epicurious.com for a few great options.

I used to love this Kale salad that my local Whole Foods had at their salad bar. However, I don't love it anymore b/c who ever is preparing it is not letting the dressing kinda soak in and sit. It is more raw, untouched kale, and that is not appealing to me.

So yes! Massage your kale a bit with your hands to work the dressing or evoo in. That works best, IMO.

Trusted Contributor

As Miami Spices said, the messaging is a must. It softens and brightens the kale leaves as well as takes out the bitterness. I like my kale salad with walnuts, feta cheese, dried cranberries, and apples.

I haven't tried it yet but I came across a preparation using avocado (plus kale, carrots, toasted nuts, and lemon juice) instead of the olive oil to coat the leaves that will produce a more healthy version of a creamy salad.

It is easier to massage the de-stemmed leaves whole first and then either break in bite-size pieces or chiffonade them. I have used both the curly and Tuscan kale. I like them equally but have seen references to using the latter.
Honored Contributor

I found using 100% citrus juice really breaks down the kale....due to the natural acids in citrus. Dressing can be citrus, ginger, avocado...maybe jalapeño...and the tasteless oil (calories you wouldn't miss) can be skipped. But citrus is key.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone! This is exactly the insight I needed! You guys rock!

And lola…this is just for my husband and me.. the oldsters don't do salad very well, of any variety.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

HC,

This one is really good, but it makes A LOT!

Curried Kale Slaw

1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise

12 Tuscan kale leaves, finely shredded

1/2 small head green cabbage, finely shredded

2 medium red bell peppers, thinly sliced

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon mild curry powder

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a colander, rinse the onion in cold water for 1 minute. Drain and pat dry.

In a large bowl, toss the kale with the cabbage, bell peppers and onion.

Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add the curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute; be careful not to burn it. Whisk in the vinegar and lemon juice and remove from the heat. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and pour it over the vegetables. Toss well. Cover the slaw and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Season with salt and pepper and serve chilled.

NOTES One Serving 169 calories, 10.3 gm total fat, 1.5 gm saturated fat, 19 gm carb.

Super Contributor

I never use to eat kale until I started buying the pre washed packages of kale leaves. I put them into the food processor and grind them up. I freeze it into zip lock bags, and just take out enough to use- thaw and then sprinkle into my regular salad. It tastes fresh, it is easy to eat as it is chopped and I now eat kale! I just did not like the Kale I bought in the whole stalk.