Respected Contributor

Jan. 6 Today is BEAN DAY What is your favorite bean or recipes with beans??

I like pinto beans the best. Here is a easy recipe{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Refried Bean Soup

2 cans ( 15.5 oz) of pinto beans, mashed up however you like it

1 can of Mild Ro-Tel Tomatoes, or you can use whatever hotness you like

1 can of chicken broth, I used homemade I had in the freezer.

1 onion, chopped and sautéed

Mix all of the ingredients together til hot, serve with some cheese sprinkled on top.

Respected Contributor

Re: Jan. 6 Today is BEAN DAY What is your favorite bean or recipes with beans??

It is suppose to get real cold tomorrow, about 14*. That is cold, here in NC.

A pot of whatever hot soup would be good to have on the stove. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

Really quick and easy: one can Campbell's Bean & Bacon, one can rinsed black beans, one can cubed tomatoes. Add red pepper flakes to taste if you have or just regular pepper. To reduce sodium, use the low sodium beans and tomatoes.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Barbarainnc said:

It is suppose to get real cold tomorrow, about 14*. That is cold, here in NC.

A pot of whatever hot soup would be good to have on the stove. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Trusted Contributor

I've got a really easy and tasty ham, bean and cabbage soup recipe, but don't have it here with me at work. I can tell you the ingredients, and I think I double this for a big pot full -

Beef stock

1 can Campbells bean and bacon soup, undiluted

Chopped cabbage (I like the red for color)

Cut up ham

Salt and pepper to taste

Super Contributor

What perfect timing, thanks for posting your recipe for the refried bean soup. It just so happens that I found a bag of Anasazi beans in my pantry (purchased them on a whim because they looked interesting) and I had absolutely NO idea what to make with them. I was thinking of adding them to some chili next time I made that, but I like your recipe better. Apparently Anasazi beans can be used as a replacement for Pinto beans, and it's been bitter cold here, a perfect reason to make that soup.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/6/2015 JustJules said:

What perfect timing, thanks for posting your recipe for the refried bean soup. It just so happens that I found a bag of Anasazi beans in my pantry (purchased them on a whim because they looked interesting) and I had absolutely NO idea what to make with them. I was thinking of adding them to some chili next time I made that, but I like your recipe better. Apparently Anasazi beans can be used as a replacement for Pinto beans, and it's been bitter cold here, a perfect reason to make that soup.

The Anasazi beans tastes more like Pintos then Pintos! Love them! I use them for anything using beans; soup, chili, salad or refried beans.

Respected Contributor

Here is a thread from awhile ago on the RS that has some nice bean recipes.

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/393286/pantry-clean-out-need-bean-recipes.aspx

Esteemed Contributor

I love to make navy bean soup (using dried navy beans which I either soak overnight or preboil first per package directions) with some chopped onions, celery and carrots. I throw in a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder with a few slices of bacon while it cooks and then remove the bacon when the soup is done. I add some chicken or vegetable broth to the water as well and let the whole pot simmer for several hours until the beans are soft and the soup is thickening up a bit. Really good and hearty on a cold day with some cornbread.

Respected Contributor

Here is another refried bean soup posted originally by Cerb. I have made this one several times and it goes in my almost instant file. I keep a bag of frozen Tricolor peppers and onion in case I do not have a green pepper. You can also use the Rotel.

'll post another one of my favorite low-cost soup recipes, this one is from the "Cheap, Fast, Good" cookbook:

Refried Bean Soup cerb

2 tsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes (14 1/2 oz.)
1/2-1 tsp. chili powder
1 can red kidney beans (15 oz.)
1 can black beans (15 oz.)
1 can fat-free refried beans
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
to taste - black pepper

Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, sauté for a couple of minutes, add the bell pepper and cook till the vegetables are tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic to the pot, stir in the broth, the canned tomatoes with their juice, and the chili powder. Raise the heat to high. Rinse and drain the black beans and kidney beans, and add them to the soup pot. Add the refried beans and the cumin and stir well. Cover the pot and let the soup come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the soup is heated through, 5-7 minutes. Season with black pepper and serve.