Respected Contributor

Jill was presenting the wine several times during the show.  I know it can get to your head if you taste each wine a number of times while you are working.  Once would be enough for me especially if I were working.

Honored Contributor

Having been married to a functioning alcoholic for most of my married life, I'm very sensitive about people drinking on television.  My husband has been sober for almost 10 years, and while he wouldn't complain about it, I would never subject him to hours of the wine TSV.  The moment I realized what it was, I changed the channel.

There are so many reasons why she might choose not to drink.  In my case, even a small amount of wine triggers a migraine.  In addition, I'm on medications that prohibit it.  

I like QVC for many reasons, though I rarely watch it anymore.  The exception is ITKWD, which I've always enjoyed.  Unfortunately, the show has gotten stale and their willingness to partner with this already weatlhy wine pusher has really turned me off.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

LOL! I usually forget it on and I miss most cause I am on West Coast and dont get home in time, but I have to admit, I watched a presentation of this (probably one of the last of the day) and never even noticed if Jill drank or not..

Valued Contributor

suzyQ3.  Somtimes kids are weak or they want to impress someone/peers and if they start with one sip, a glass or mulpitle glasses of wine or other alcohol, they "MAY" get to the point that they are very irresponsible with life in general.

Maybe if one gets behind a wheel after a night of drinking wine or other alcohol beverages and havng an accident that will kill

someone or do extensive bodily damages one will think, "How did I get this way?"

It happened to a young (at the time) boy in our community.  Actually, he was on Opra's show back in the day.  He promised his mother when he left their house that night that he would be responsible.  Now he is paralized and in a wheel chair.

He said it started with trying to be like others.

His parents didn't drink or keep wine or other alcohol in their house.

Respected Contributor

@JCF  I have often wondered what the responsible way for parents is to raise their children regarding alcohol.  Both my sister and I were raised by parents who drank wine with their Sunday meal and gave us a very small glass of it also.   We both continued this way into our adulthood and then just stopped drinking.  I, however love to cook with wine.  All my cousins (of which there are many) were raised the same way and none ever overdid it after growing up.

Honored Contributor

I don't drink.  I take medicine and you're not supposed to drink.

Perhaps that's why she didn't taste the white.  I saw her drinking the red wine.  She even joked that she was going to carry it around to drink with her and then she said, "No!  I'm just kidding".  I think she prefers red wine.

I have a daughter who drinks wine and beer.  She goes to places where it's made, etc.  I have sent her several orders of this same wine.  She says it is OK, not great but OK.  Same with my son in law.  Sent it to him two times.  They both know good wine.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Flushing from drinking wine is caused by being sensitive to the sulfates used as a preservative to keep it fresh. I also have this problem & turn beet red with a burning sensation that lasts for hours. Sulfates can also be found in prepared salads & lots of other items so always on the lookout to avoid them. Same with MSG.

------------

Thank you for explaining @kitcat51. I joke to my DH that I feel 'pink' when I drink wine.  It's an uncomfortable warm feeling, and I know I'm not drunk.

Valued Contributor

Clem, thank you for your remarks.  It is hard to gauge.

I did say "SOME" kids are weak.

Honored Contributor

I know Mary Beth doesn't drink, and she won't partake of anything made with alcohol when they present certain items (like vitamix or nutra things).

Maybe Jill in on some medication and shouldn't be drinking. Maybe she doesn't drink at all, but knows what wine tastes like from past experience and can attest to liking one kind over another. 

At any rate, it doesn't make much sense to have a host present something like wine, when they don't drink it. Kind of does stand out as noticable.

Honored Contributor

@JCF wrote:

suzyQ3.  Somtimes kids are weak or they want to impress someone/peers and if they start with one sip, a glass or mulpitle glasses of wine or other alcohol, they "MAY" get to the point that they are very irresponsible with life in general.

Maybe if one gets behind a wheel after a night of drinking wine or other alcohol beverages and havng an accident that will kill

someone or do extensive bodily damages one will think, "How did I get this way?"

It happened to a young (at the time) boy in our community.  Actually, he was on Opra's show back in the day.  He promised his mother when he left their house that night that he would be responsible.  Now he is paralized and in a wheel chair.

He said it started with trying to be like others.

His parents didn't drink or keep wine or other alcohol in their house.

@JCF, you didn't quote me, so I went back and read my post. All I said is that drinking is acceptable if you are over legal age. Then I said that  maybe the host had a good reason for not being able to sip wine that day.

So I'm not sure why you posted this reply to me, as I am aware that people of age may abuse alcohol. That doesn't change the fact that it is legal and that QVC should be able to present it. 

Also, others have chimed in and said that the host has sipped wine on air, so clearly she does enjoy wine.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland