Honored Contributor

Is A 4 qt. slow cooker big enough for a chicken?

I am thinking about getting a really light 4 qt. cooker for beans or maybe a chicken or chicken pieces, pork tenderloin, etc.  

I have a larger one that is pretty bulky and weighs a lot, so I don't need that very often.

Any experience or suggestions?  Thanks! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Is A 4 qt. slow cooker big enough for a chicken?

@Sooner    I got a pressure cooker with a slow cook function and gave my slow cooker away.  I'm A big fan of pressure cooking and use it the most but I also use the slow cook function.  I have a 6 qt, which allows me to cook enough to freeze leftover for later meals.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    I got a pressure cooker with a slow cook function and gave my slow cooker away.  I'm A big fan of pressure cooking and use it the most but I also use the slow cook function.  I have a 6 qt, which allows me to cook enough to freeze leftover for later meals.

@Kachina624 I have 3 and 6 qt. Instant Pots, but am looking for a lighter, smaller 3 or 4 quart slow cooker with a removable ceramic liner.  But thanks, we use the instant pot all the time!  Just not what I want for this use.  

Esteemed Contributor

Assuming you're making a whole chicken?

I'm thinking 4qt round, probably not large enough for a 3lb whole chicken. 

4qt oblong shape might work better.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am thinking about getting a really light 4 qt. cooker for beans or maybe a chicken or chicken pieces, pork tenderloin, etc.  

I have a larger one that is pretty bulky and weighs a lot, so I don't need that very often.

Any experience or suggestions?  Thanks! Woman Very Happy

Wouldn't it depend on the size chicken?

Honored Contributor

Thd oval crock pots are perfect for a whole turkey breast with the back out or a whole chicken and vegies in the bottom.  I wouldn't size down where I couldn't cook what I wanted to.

I have two oval roasters.  I cook-all lot!"Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Thd oval crock pots are perfect for a whole turkey breast with the back out or a whole chicken and vegies in the bottom.  I wouldn't size down where I couldn't cook what I wanted to.

I have two oval roasters.  I cook-all lot!"Smiley Happy

@ECBG I am sizing down to a small light weight inexpensive crock pot to basicallyl cook beans.  We usually roast chickens in the oven, so it is not an issue or a big deal.  A friend and I were discussing it and I wondered if anyone had experience.  

I just don't want or need a big slow cooker because I have a big one, 6 or 7 quart All Clad, but we almost never use it and it's way too big for beans for us.  One thing about slow cookers, they don't do a great job of cooking unless they are pretty well filled.  If stuff is sitting in the bottom the condensation just drips down and it's swimming in water.