Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If Temptations is Made in China, Why So Popular?

Just saying .... after reading so many posts about concerns related to possibility of lead paint used in products coming from China.

Re: If Temptations is Made in China, Why So Popular?

I refuse to buy them because they are made in China! Why can't they be made in America? I don't trust ANYTHING made in China...lead, etc!

Trusted Contributor

It's cheap. There is your popularity.

Then people post about a $5 dish splitting in two in the oven. 

Respected Contributor

It's popular because people like it. 

Trusted Contributor

Buying stoneware made in China is risky.  They don't have good manufacturing regulations.  I would monitor the lead content if you buy these...isn't there something on the market that can test your dishes for lead?  I think I've seen something. 

Honored Contributor

Agree with Snowpuppy.  It's about the price.   They advertise heavily that it's just as good (not true) as brands that cost more, but it costs a lot less.  I guess that has to be the draw.  I find it very much aesthetically unappealing, but my taste leans more toward classic, unbusy types of patterns, or non-patterns I gues.  hehe  Smiley Happy

I have lots of Chinese-made products in my house, probably like most people, but stoneware is one of the places where I draw the line.  

As long as you don't put it into a heat source there's a chance it w/b ok but there have been numerous people who said theirs cracked and crazed just sitting in the cabinet so I guess it's going to be a crapshoot, no matter how (or even if) you use it.

Respected Contributor

I don't own a single piece of Temptations, and am not interested in buying any.   However,  I think it is popular because it is pretty.  I think people are drawn to the many colors and patterns, and want to serve their food in attractive dishes, as well as display these bright pieces in their kitchen.   I honestly don't believe much, if any, thought is given to where the product is made, until after they personally experience the cracking and oven breakage issues.   Based on the popularity level, it is obvious to me that all buyers see is the new item in their preferred pattern or color, or the introduction of a new pattern----no one is thinking poor quality, lead based paint, or where it is made.    

Respected Contributor

LOL, some of us like it and have never had problems. 

Sorry I'm just not going to buy something I don't like/want because it's made in the USA.

On another note, I was surprised to see Lenox went from Indonesia (bought a year ago) to China (The last TVS)   Some of my serving pieces said made in the USA.   I can't tell the difference in any of it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Stop at your local mom & pop hardware store like a Tru Value and ask for a lead test kit for your dishes. 

Inexpensive and if you have antiques left to you by great grandma you can test these pieces as well.

I buy as much as I possibly can that's USA made. Just my personal committment to keep someone employed here. My everyday dishes are Fiesta and my good china is all Lenox. 

Butterfly Meadow is not fine china.

Super Contributor

When I did have a set of Temptations several years ago in the old world blue pattern I did test them all with a lead test kit (and also everything in my house I could,- I got a little obsessed lol but in a good waySmiley Happy

and they did not contain any led according to the kit.

The only think that did was an old pot I got at a yard sale. The strip turned pink. I threw it out.

I used to find these at Target but the last time I had to order them online. I don't remember which site. I'm surprised I can't find them anymore in stores but I think they were available when we all started hearing about lead based paint and old antique stuff years ago.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View