Honored Contributor

Re: I never feel like cooking before a big holiday

Wow, maybe that's it, for me too. Clearing space for dishes I'm doing, and started all final plans the other day and defrosting ribs today, and other dishes for tomorrow, then there's Christmas meal. Maybe I'm getting to old for all this. ?? I don't know. Maybe it's the missing of family members and some of the holiday family feelings are missing. That's probably more of it. A certain sadness this year. Today, we shop for all the goodies and then I come home and prep begins.

It's not that bad.

Respected Contributor

Same here for me. Last night a just did chicken parm and a salad. Tonight just might be pizza. My problem is that after cooking for the Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner, I don't even feel like eating it.

Frequent Contributor

I also feel this way. Trying to finish cookie baking this week and wrapping presents. Had to take my Mom out for some last minute gifts on Monday. Today I absolutely have to finish cookies. DD is helping! The family will eat just about anything. I try to keep it simple. Broiled pork chops yesterday. Maybe some chicken in the oven today. I don't feel like eating after being in the kitchen all day. Sounds like we all are doing some juggling! Somehow it all gets done every year. We are awesome, ladies!
Frequent Contributor

After Thanksgiving, I am NOT looking to cook a huge meal on Christmas! Plus, everyone is extremely busy shopping, baking, etc. So years ago, our family decided to have a buffet where every family provides a dish to share. Saves me time & I actually get to rest before Santa arrives.
Honored Contributor

Many Christmases we don't do a big dinner. There are only four of us here, and sometimes we just do platters. One of cheeses and meats, one of veggies and dips, one of cookies and candies, one of fruits, all of which can be made the day ahead. We just kind of graze through the day, and don't really stress out with food. I do a lot of baking and candy making for the season, and we have big meals throughout the year, but not always in conjunction with a holiday, as there is always so much going on anyway.

I do understand this won't work if you are expecting a lot of company who is expecting a big holiday meal,but it does work for us.

Honored Contributor

I have cut down on cooking but I'm still exhausted. I think I'm going out of town next year lol.

Honored Contributor

I put my husband on dinner duty tonight, we had some nice homemade tacos.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

There are many evenings I don't feel like cooking, holiday coming or not.
Esteemed Contributor

I did all my baking today, birthday cake for the baby Jesus and a coconut cream pie. I made the stuffing and boiled the yams. We are having Christmas dinner tomorrow at 4p, DS has to work Christmas day so we are having it early. Making a turkey breast and a ham.

Super Contributor

We eat a lot of simple meals just before the holidays. Shepherd's Pie is an easy one, and some Trader Joe's ready made dishes that will do for two meals. Soups and stews are also on the menu, but mostly one pot meals. It took me years, however, to come to the point where I thought ahead about this and figured in the easy meals. Things seem backwards sometimes. For me it's like by the time I have it all figured out, it will be time to leave planet earth. There must be a reason. {#emotions_dlg.tt1} But, I know you'll have a nice holiday for your family and building some good memories. Merry Christmas, Springers!