Super Contributor

Re: I need a long ago recipe (boiled dinner?) - not corn beef style...please

Not from the Midwest, and growing up, never had corned beef. My mom's 'boiled dinner' was a smoked pork shoulder, & she put vinegar & peppercorns in the water, & who knows what else!

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone!!!!!!! Saw my friends today and told them about the ""missing"" flavor component - yup it was a ham bone ...thanks to you they remembered!

Knew you great ladies/gents on here would give us the answer!

Leaving on a few week vacation so when I return may attempt this recipe again with better results...

Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

On 2/23/2014 Sabatini2 said:

Not from the Midwest, and growing up, never had corned beef. My mom's 'boiled dinner' was a smoked pork shoulder, & she put vinegar & peppercorns in the water, & who knows what else!

This. I then added Julia Child's spices for her version similar to this leaving out the onions;

SMOKED SHOULDER BOILED DINNER

Printed from COOKS.COM

1 6 lb smoked pork shoulder picnic (or about 5-7 lb)

1 large head Savoy (or plain) cabbage

12 white boiling onions

1 lb carrots

3 lbs potatoes

5-6 cloves garlic

2-3 bay leaves or 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

1/2 tsp whole black or green peppercorns

Rinse the smoked shoulder under cold running water and place in a stockpot tall enough to cover completely with cold water.

To the water, add the Old Bay seasoning (or whole bay leaves). Peel and smash the garlic cloves with the side of a knife or cleaver and add to water along with the peppercorns.

Bring the water to a rolling boil but do not allow to boil for any length of time; reduce the heat immediately and simmer over low heat for an hour and a half, or until the shoulder is almost cooked, but not quite.

Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.

Peel the outermost layer of the boiler onions and discard. Cut an X in both ends of the onion to prevent from splitting. Add peeled whole peeled onions to water during the final hour of cooking.

Either baby or large carrots may be used. If using baby carrots, there is no need to peel; add the baby carrots during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If using large carrots, slice into 3/8" coin slices and add during the final 40 minutes of cooking.

Wedge the cabbage into quarters. Break apart to separate leaves and add during the final 40 minutes of cooking.

Peel and quarter the potatoes. Add during the last 30 minutes of cooking (do not allow to overcook!)

Serve when all of the vegetables and meat are tender, but vegetables should not be soft. Discard bay leaves.

Remove the shoulder and carve. Remove the vegetables using a slotted spoon to a colander or dish to allow to drain briefly.

Serve smoked shoulder in the center of each plate, surrounded by all the vegetables and with ample yellow mustard (French's Yellow). Traditionally, the mustard is used as a topping for each of the vegetables, as well as the meat. Some people also like a pat of butter, too.

Makes 10 Servings

Nutrition (per serving): 930 calories, 528 calories from fat, 58.5g total fat, 157.9mg cholesterol, 3023.9mg sodium, 1765.4mg potassium, 38.7g carbohydrates, 7.6g fiber, 7.7g sugar, 60.8g protein.

Honored Contributor

My father was from Ireland and we would always have this with corned beef, potatoes, carrots , onions & cabbage. My Mom would cook it with the corned beef in the pot then when it was completely cooked she would take out the meat and put it under the broiler to brown it. And , yes, we would drizzle a few drops of vinegar on it at the table. i still make it for St Patricks Day. When you buy corned beef the seasoning package comes with it.
Valued Contributor

I remember hating this when my mother made it. She would put carrots, potatoes, cabbage, onions, ham, some smoked link sausage, and (for the kids) hot dogs in it. Cook it to death.

Valued Contributor

Ours also had the potatoes, carrots, turnips and cabbage. Also a bay leaf. The meat was either corned beef, smoked shoulder or a "daisy ham." The daisy ham was a rolled meat, perhaps a smoked shoulder or ham product, haven't seen one in ... years.

Super Contributor

On 2/23/2014 skuggles said:
On 2/23/2014 Sabatini2 said:

This. I then added Julia Child's spices for her version similar to this leaving out the onions;

SMOKED SHOULDER BOILED DINNER

Printed from COOKS.COM

1 6 lb smoked pork shoulder picnic (or about 5-7 lb)

1 large head Savoy (or plain) cabbage

12 white boiling onions

1 lb carrots

3 lbs potatoes

5-6 cloves garlic

2-3 bay leaves or 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

1/2 tsp whole black or green peppercorns

Rinse the smoked shoulder under cold running water and place in a stockpot tall enough to cover completely with cold water.

To the water, add the Old Bay seasoning (or whole bay leaves). Peel and smash the garlic cloves with the side of a knife or cleaver and add to water along with the peppercorns.

Bring the water to a rolling boil but do not allow to boil for any length of time; reduce the heat immediately and simmer over low heat for an hour and a half, or until the shoulder is almost cooked, but not quite.

Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.

Peel the outermost layer of the boiler onions and discard. Cut an X in both ends of the onion to prevent from splitting. Add peeled whole peeled onions to water during the final hour of cooking.

Either baby or large carrots may be used. If using baby carrots, there is no need to peel; add the baby carrots during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If using large carrots, slice into 3/8" coin slices and add during the final 40 minutes of cooking.

Wedge the cabbage into quarters. Break apart to separate leaves and add during the final 40 minutes of cooking.

Peel and quarter the potatoes. Add during the last 30 minutes of cooking (do not allow to overcook!)

Serve when all of the vegetables and meat are tender, but vegetables should not be soft. Discard bay leaves.

Remove the shoulder and carve. Remove the vegetables using a slotted spoon to a colander or dish to allow to drain briefly.

Serve smoked shoulder in the center of each plate, surrounded by all the vegetables and with ample yellow mustard (French's Yellow). Traditionally, the mustard is used as a topping for each of the vegetables, as well as the meat. Some people also like a pat of butter, too.

Makes 10 Servings

Nutrition (per serving): 930 calories, 528 calories from fat, 58.5g total fat, 157.9mg cholesterol, 3023.9mg sodium, 1765.4mg potassium, 38.7g carbohydrates, 7.6g fiber, 7.7g sugar, 60.8g protein.

Thank you, skuggles!!