Honored Contributor

Re: I Want To Throw My Crock Pot Against A Concrete Wall!

Honey,

I hope a house comes on the market soon.  It is hard and frustrating waiting.  Almost 30 years ago we wanted to move where we are now, about 50 milrs from where we were at the time.  Good grief, it was during the housing recession (1987) here in California.  The town we wanted to move to had a building moratorium, and interest rates were 11 to 14%.  I think we saw the sma 6 homes for weeks.  They were the only homes in town for sale (in our price range and desired area).  One day, realator called, a house just on market.  Travled the 50 miles, bought it on the spot.  What a surprise when we say it in daylight!!  Anyway, been here almost 30 years!!

Honey, the simple "trashy" meal I make is a brainer, but we like it.  I take these organic chicken sausage dogs I get at Costco, about 6.  I throw a couple cans of chile, we like Amy's organic Spicy chili or Boston beans, and the sausage.  That's it, just cook on high for an hour or so then low.  Sometimes I add more onion, peppers.  My husband likes it with white steamed rice!  We have salad.  High carb, hahaha,  That is a quick meal for me.  Those sausage/hot dogs swell up so big!  They literally pop when you bite into them, and so juicy.

Esteemed Contributor

shoekitty, thanks.  I hope one comes on the market soon also.

I like that easy meal!  I have some chicken sausage in the fridge and dry beans and Penzeys in the cabinet.  I'll try it in the oven, not the CrockPot.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Occasional Contributor

My 2 crock pots are fairly new and they cook way too fast on low setting.  It always overcooks while I am at work (gone for 7-8 hrs).  Bummed because I'd love to use them to make dinner for my family but the results are usually an overcooked messSmiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

That was my goal, Angie!  I wanted to put something in the Crock Pot in the morning before work, and have it be done when I got home from work (~10 hrs).

The thing is reduced to whole chickens and acorn squash on the days when I'm home.

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

That was my goal, Angie!  I wanted to put something in the Crock Pot in the morning before work, and have it be done when I got home from work (~10 hrs).

The thing is reduced to whole chickens and acorn squash on the days when I'm home.

HB, please forgive me if this has already been brought up but have you looked into a pressure cooker?  I too struggle with a crock pot but I love my pressure cooker.  I have an InstantPot and I could not recommend it more.

Esteemed Contributor

Aldi has a 7 quart Crock Pot for $20.  I'm going to get it.

My pork stews are always a success in my 4 quart.  I want to make a larger cut of pork with more vegetables.

The chops, breasts, meals and grains all still look like pet food, so they will stay in the oven.  I won't even talk about the chili disasters.

So now, I will have two crock pots to throw against a concrete wall!

Frequent Contributor

One slow cooker secret I have is that when making chicken and meat dishes, I put the chicken or meat in frozen...doesn't get overcooked or dried out that way, everything comes out moist and tender.  

Respected Contributor

It sounds like nothing anyone says will change your mind.  Fine, donate the crockpot and just do your superior cooking with your superior pots.

I use my crockpot weekly.  Now my 4 qt pressure cooker is my downfall.  I find it takes so long to prep and fight with getting the top on that it is in the cupboard.

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Aldi has a 7 quart Crock Pot for $20.  I'm going to get it.

My pork stews are always a success in my 4 quart.  I want to make a larger cut of pork with more vegetables.

The chops, breasts, meals and grains all still look like pet food, so they will stay in the oven.  I won't even talk about the chili disasters.

So now, I will have two crock pots to throw against a concrete wall!

Oh my goodness @HonnyBrown I haven't received this week's ads and just took a look . . . wow, what great things this week!  Love that kitchen island with the granite top for only $49.99 and those cast iron enamel pieces . . . better be prepared to rumble when snooping through the magical middle aisle this week!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@islandergirl wrote:

One slow cooker secret I have is that when making chicken and meat dishes, I put the chicken or meat in frozen...doesn't get overcooked or dried out that way, everything comes out moist and tender.  

I never thought about doing that!  Thank you for the tip.  I will try that this weekend.