Valued Contributor

How to remove food stains from the inside of enamel cast iron dutch oven?

Mine still cooks fine but does not look very pretty. Any tips or suggestions? TIA!

Valued Contributor

Re: How to remove food stains from the inside of enamel cast iron dutch oven?

When mine begins to look a little yellowed/dingy I pour in a mixture of Clorox beach and water (about 1/2 and 1/2), a few inches high, and let it soak for a few hours, overnight, or till I remember it (which has been up to a week). My favorite red pot enamel dutch oven sits on my stove all the time! It looks just like new after the soaking.

HTH

KK

Regular Contributor

1)Thoroughly clean and dry

2) Rub shortening (I kid you not) into any chips or cracks

3) Fill a sink with warm water and add 1/2 cup Clorox or chlorine bleach. Soak overnight, and thoroughly clean and dry in the morning.

Contributor

My normal "tried & true" remedy was to rub bon ami over the spot; BUT, my daughter cooked collards several times; and when I got there, I thought, No PRoblem, but there was a problem, it did not work. Now, when I go back up to see her I will use the bleach.

Thanks, everyone for the solution.

geranium

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Mr Clean Magic Erasers?

I use Le Creuset enameled cast iron and they stay pretty pristine over the years. But now and then I have seen a little bit of something in the inside bottom and the Magic Eraser removed it very easily.

Those things will remove stuff that you cannot remove with anything else. They truly ARE magic! Smiley Happy

I would also add - don't use anything harsh like ammonia or bleach and don't scrape on them with anything like metal.

Honored Contributor

I have a white Le Creuset and it has gotten discolored. I am going to try some of these ideas. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I use the LC cleaner for the outside/color part and Barkeepers Friend on the inside.

My is a little discolored inside but I think it's mroe scorched than stained. It's not something that will scrub off.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I am a big fan of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I haven't bought any since I got the Don Aslett sponges.

I have a Scrubbie that I got for Christmas that I will try and also buy a Magic Eraser next time I'm out.

Good tip!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2014 VaBelle35 said:

I am a big fan of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I haven't bought any since I got the Don Aslett sponges.

I have a Scrubbie that I got for Christmas that I will try and also buy a Magic Eraser next time I'm out.

Good tip!

Those Magic Erasers are so amazing, I can't even describe. They are good for so many things that nothing else will clean.

I have older tile counters in my kitchen. You know how if you move a pot on the tile or open a can so the can is moving on the tile, and then there are all these black marks on the tile? You can scrub until you are blue in the face and that stuff doesn't come off. But with a Magic Eraser, just get it wet, wring it out, and *VOILA* wipe off the marks just that easily.

They are also great for walls and showers. I've had marks on items like dishes and such that wouldn't wash off, yet the ME takes it right off. I use these plastic insulated big mugts for my tea. One of mine is a light, granite (kind of white with speckles) color. Recently I noticed that my tea was staining the inside and it didn't wash out. You better believe the ME took it out with no effort.

Somebody else mentioned Barkeepers Friend. That is also a good product. My problem with it is the smell bothers me. But then, I'm very smell-sensitive and have asthma. I always have some on hand, though, as it's a good thing to have. It should also work with the enamel.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/10/2014 VaBelle35 said:

I use the LC cleaner for the outside/color part and Barkeepers Friend on the inside.

That's my choice too.

I have used Bar Keepers Friend on the inside of my Le Creuset pots and French ovens for years. Their interiors are unstained and spotless.