Trusted Contributor

How long do kalamata olives last once opened?

I found a jar of kalamata olives in the fridge that I must have opened a couple of months ago.  The jar is practically full as I'd forgotten about them.  How long do they last once opened?  They look and smell fine but I've read mixed information when I tried to google.  One site said a week or two after opening, another states that since they are preserved in brine they can last months after opened.  Do I risk it?  Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long do kalamata olives last once opened?

I just checked out kalamata olives on the site Still Tasty. I was surprised to read that after opening they're good for ONE YEAR OR DATE ON BOTTLE in a glass or plastic container. That's as long as they stay submerged in the brine. I would have thought only a couple of weeks at most.

Frequent Contributor

Take a look at stilltasty.com and decide.   The key is proper storage so if that is the case and there is no bad smell, etc. it should be fine.

Honored Contributor

As long as they are in brine I would think they would last a few months - like pickles.  

Super Contributor

From experience, I know they last at least a year if not longer.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never bought a whole jar of them which is why I looked it up. When I buy them at my grocery store it's always been scooping them into a plastic container from a big bin (ya know those serve yourself areas of bins of "stuff") as I never have need for a whole jar. If they aren't used within a week or week and a half at most I toss them out because I think they smell and taste funny. Now I know it's because they aren't sitting covered in brine. So from now on, knowing how long they last refrigerated in a glass jar that's how I'm going to buy them, beats tossing them out.

Honored Contributor

I once bought a half gallon jug of kalamata olives from a Greek store that had imported a barrel full.  I was told to keep them covered and they would last indefinitely.  They did, it took a couple years to go through them.  I also refrigerated them, but his barrel was not refrigerated.  I keep them for months at a time now, in a Lock n Lock, always covered with the brine. 

Honored Contributor

How interesting!

I recently bought a jar at Trader Joe's.  Within one week they were moldy and they were still in the original jar with the brine!

Everyone told me I should have taken them back, but I thought maybe they just don't last long!

Now I know they should have lasted (in brine) and that I threw my money away by not returning!  LOL

I also purchase at the Mediterranean Bar...now I know to put some brine in the plastic cup!

Thanks everybody!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, Kalamata olives!  I agree with the poster who wrote to check with the experation date on the jar.  I so enjoy those olives on pizza though I am to stay away from salty foods. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I don't think you can kill these suckers. They seem to live forever in my refrigerator, although we do love recipes that call for them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland