Respected Contributor

Re: How important is your dishwasher?

My first apartment, years ago didn't have one, no big deal. But then, I worked in a restaurant, ate out a lot, didn't cook much either. 

Every other apartment and home has had one.

I don't run it daily. I do the little things everyday by hand. By the end of the week I'll start to just fill it up and run it once per week usually. At that point I throw in things I want to disinfect or clean at least once a week, like sponges, sponge holders, ceramic toothbrush holder, even the toothbrushes!

So, I am glad to have one. I've never had the need to run it daily. It's mostly a once a week thing. Some weeks everything got done by hand and I never run it.

Honored Contributor

After Hubbs proposed, then I asked if we could get a dishwasher.Of course, I said yes first.  

Probably a 15.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

Totally unimportant to me. just the 2 of us, I wash and dry our dishes after every meal, takes me a total of a few minutes, and everything is put away and ready to be used again, not used my DW in years, it just sits there looking pretty!! My Mom was the same way. Also, I would worry if it floods my floor will be ruined. 

Honored Contributor

It is not important at all.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

For me its a 10!

I could survive without one and did in my young adult married life, but NOT now.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

9. I could get by without a dishwasher, but why would I? A dishwasher is a modern day convenience that I prefer to have. I need all the help I can get at my current stage of life.

Honored Contributor

I live alone.  Can't recall the last time I used my dish washer.

Honored Contributor

I have some things (crystal glasses, non-stick pans) that need to be washed by hand, but other than that everything goes in the dishwasher.

High-efficiency dishwashers actually use less water than hand washing, so they're better for the environment, and clean at a higher temperature.  Even doing a small load in an HE dishwasher, is better than hand washing.  I see they're running ads about it currently on TV.

For me, it's a 10.  Could I live without one, if I had to?  Yes.  Do I want to?  No.  (So perhaps it's a 9.)

Respected Contributor

I bought my parents a dishwasher for a Christmas gift....they never used it.  When I sold the house, I had to replace an u used DW because it had deteriorated and was unusable.

Parents were very stubborn in so many ways as I discovered when I had to clear out the place before putting it on the market.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago when I still worked, did a lot of cooking and baking and did holiday dinners I would say a 10.

Now, it is just DD and I, I don't cook like I did, no longer bake and don't host holiday dinners I'd say a 3.

I always hand washed 99% of my pots and pans and knives.

We didn't have one going up. Dad bought Mom one long after my sister and I were out of the house.  Still she filled the sink with hot soapy water, washed the dishes, rinsed them in hot water.............then put the perfectly clean dishes in the dishwasher.

Drove all of us nuts. Waste of water and electricity to heat all of it. I think their hot water heater was set to lava.