Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Did Your Mother Cook With Soup?

Mom never cooked with soup. She made a large pot every Saturday.  My father loved soup and mom would make all kinds,

oxtail, white and red borscht, chicken and noodle or rice, beef and barley.  There was that smelly one too...tripe soup.  My parents and brother loved it, I couldn't get past the aroma.  A favorite soup

in European households.

Valued Contributor

Growing up I loved the Campbells chicken noodle, cream of musroom and tomato soups.  I would have eated them every day for lunch.  I think I did in the winter.  As to an ingredient for a meal the only thing she ever used it in was that iconic green bean casserole. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Campbells soups have fed America!  All the roasts, gravies, and dishes like chicken pot pie that used cream of chicken soup.  Their chicken noodle fed countless sick children as well as all the soup everyone has paired with a sandwich for a meal.

We had some delicious roasts and meat loaf with gravy made with mushroom soup and an awesome chicken pot pie with homemade crust made with oil that is lighter than air.  

For years I didn't add any extra salt (I rarely salt anyway).  

Today, we grill mostly.

My mother NEVER cooked with soup.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Valued Contributor

By the looks of this thread, it sounds like nobody has used canned soup.  How did the company survive all these years?  Somebody was using it.

I make homemade soup of different kinds, but also have used canned soup in cooking.  There's nothing quicker or handier than putting a can of creamed chicken, celery, or mushroom soup in with a roast, chicken, or pork, and baking it.  It's great to put in the slow cooker.  Just turn the dial and walk away.  Don't even have to take time to add a lot of other seasonings.  Tomato soup also tenderizes beef beautifully.

I use Aldi's canned soup, because it tastes better.

Respected Contributor

We had Campbell's tomato soup in the pantry for lunches, and canned broth for cooking. But "cooking with soup" wasn't a thing at our house. 

Respected Contributor

my wife makes chicken and brocoli using cambells soup. she breads and frys chicken cutlets. lays them in a baking dish. then in a bowl mixes 3 cans of creme of brocolli soup and 2 cans of cheddar soup with 3 cans of milk and fresh or frozzen brocoli. pour over ckicken and bake for like 40 minutes.

Honored Contributor

We had Campbell's soup in the house to eat sometimes with lunch but the only thing she ever made with it was at Girl Scout Camp, which we called Girl Scout Stew.

It was Campbells Beef & Barley and Ground Beef and maybe canned tomatoes.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

We had cans of Campbell's vegetable-type soups around for lunch, I think.  But cooking with any of the creamed soups would have turned my dad completely off.   In fact, I don't recall us ever having any casserole-type dish where multiple ingredients were mixed together.   He loved to eat cheese, but any other dairy product was not on this meat-and-potato man's  personal menu.

When he was away on business trips, Mom would fix creamed tuna on toast, and we loved the change in menu. The cream sauce was made from scratch, not soup.

Trusted Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

By the looks of this thread, it sounds like nobody has used canned soup.  How did the company survive all these years?  Somebody was using it.

I make homemade soup of different kinds, but also have used canned soup in cooking.  There's nothing quicker or handier than putting a can of creamed chicken, celery, or mushroom soup in with a roast, chicken, or pork, and baking it.  It's great to put in the slow cooker.  Just turn the dial and walk away.  Don't even have to take time to add a lot of other seasonings.  Tomato soup also tenderizes beef beautifully.

I use Aldi's canned soup, because it tastes better.

Hi @Anniecamp,

As I mentioned in my post, my Mom did cook with soup. 

She didn't use it all of the time. She would use it for Green Bean Casserole at the holidays, and also to mainly make pork chop and rice casserole, or the same using chicken, now that I think of it.

She also liked to eat Cream of Chicken soup and other canned soups, and would make them for the two of us for our lunch, when I was little.

She also made homemade soups. She used to make beef vegetable soup, beef with barley, split pea with ham, and oxtail soup. Her soups were amazing. Mine can't compare to hers. 

Her Mother--my Gramma, made an awesome chicken soup. 

I do cook with soup and will especially use them in slow cooker recipes when the recipe calls for them. I don't mind using them, and my husband doesn't mind eating anything made with soup.

We'll also eat canned soup, too.

I also make homemade soup, as well. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Mom worked until 6PM so dad was home already and he would heat up dinner - almost always that involved him using cream of something soup, and reheating the meat Mom had already cooked the evening before for him, then he would reheat mashed potatoes she also had made the evening before, and make a frozen veg.  When she walked in the door at 6:30 we would eat immediately , then before we washed the dishes she would cook the next night's dinner and wrap it up and put it in the fridge.One of the best things about the weekend was getting fresh cooked dinner - not reheated food.