Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! What does a 15 year old eat?

On 7/13/2014 chickenbutt said:

Wow. When I was a kid you ate whatever was put in front of you but I guess it's not like that anymore. Too bad the kid won't eat veg. All the stuff mentioned sounded like the worst possible choices.

Is he FROM Spain? When I was in Spain they ate fairly healthy stuff and veg was a part of that.

Oh- I just saw that McDonald's is his choice. gack! I hope it's not all he will eat. Sounds like your work is cut out for you. Smiley Happy

This!

My Mom made chili once. I didn't want meat, my Dad didn't want beans and my brother didn't want tomatoes.

My Mom said "Pick out what you don't want."

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Wow. When I was a kid you ate whatever was put in front of you but I guess it's not like that anymore. Too bad the kid won't eat veg. All the stuff mentioned sounded like the worst possible choices.

Is he FROM Spain? When I was in Spain they ate fairly healthy stuff and veg was a part of that.

Oh- I just saw that McDonald's is his choice. gack! I hope it's not all he will eat. Sounds like your work is cut out for you. Smiley Happy

Same here. You ate what was cooked or you didn't eat. My mother always insisted we eat at least a bite or two of everything. I wasn't a picky eater, but I can not stand liver. I always had to choke down a couple of bites and then I was allowed to fill up on side dishes and such.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

Taco Bell - I hate the place but everyone else seems to like it. He'll probably want pizza, burgers and fried chicken. Now I'm getting hungry .....

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/13/2014 HonnyBrown said:

This!

My Mom made chili once. I didn't want meat, my Dad didn't want beans and my brother didn't want tomatoes.

My Mom said "Pick out what you don't want."

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I can remember hearing that from my mom.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

What Sooner said. He's not the boss. If he doesn't like what's put before him (within reason), tough luck!

Kids need to learn the world doesn't revolve around them.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/13/2014 2zbeach said: McDonalds! His mother will have my head. I think stir fry is a great idea. I'll give that one a go. Any recipes or suggestions for ingredients?

Chopped vegetables (shallots, garlic, different color bell peppers and asparagus are easy)

Diced meat ( big, chunky dice)

Fish sauce

Chopped kale

In a hot fry pan, add a tablespoon of oil

When the oil is hot, add the shallots and garlic and turn the heat to medium-low

When they brown (but not burn) add the peppers and asparagus

After 5-7 minutes (the veggies should be crunchy) add the raw meat

Stir until browned on all sides

Add 1-2 tablespoons of fish sauce

Turn fire to low

Stir mixture off and on until meat is cooked

Add kale, stir and cover.

Turn heat off. Kale will wilt.

Serve alone, over brown rice or whole wheat spaghetti

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 7/13/2014 2zbeach said: McDonalds! His mother will have my head. I think stir fry is a great idea. I'll give that one a go. Any recipes or suggestions for ingredients?

wel then ask his Mom what she feeds him

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I know he said no veg, but he might just be saying that because he'll be away from home and thinks he can get away with it.

I think you should just cook as you normally would. If you have a specialty that you cook or bake, make it for him.

He will take what he wants and not eat what he doesn't want. You might be surprised at what he does end up eating.

In my house, I would make things like baked or grilled chicken or meatloaf, pork chops, or even mild fish like halibut. Veg would be a nice salad, carrots, broccoli, peas, potatoes in a variety of ways.

If you have some great veg in season,like tomatoes or corn,I would try that too.

Chili, stir fries as mentioned. Chicken can be made a variety of ways.

Omelets or frittatas with a salad for dinner are good too.

I like to make Mexican food, so I would make enchiladas, tacos or even arroz con pollo.

For breakfast I would keep bread on hand for toast, as well as bagels, English muffins.

Lunch- sandwich things...deli meats or egg salad.Grilled cheese, also for dinner.

If you have foods that are well-known to your area, introduce him to them..like fruits, veg,etc.

And of course the usual ..pizza hamburgers Mac and cheese etc.

I'm assuming he's here to learn about the culture, and food is a part of that!

I was an.exchange student a couple of times, and I remember my hosts including universal foods as well as local specialties in our meals. Even if they weren't my favorite, I enjoyed getting to try them.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

PS: I'm a big leafy green veg eater....kale, chard, spinach, collards. Also love beets, squash,zucchini...all of that.

But if he's touchy about veg, I would stick with "safe" veg like carrots or salads. Unless you successfully sneak some of the other stuff in! Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

Since when do kids dictate what they will eat for meals that are prepared by an adult?

I get that kids have preferences/likes/dislikes (I have 2 kids) - but I would prepare healthy, good meals INCLUDING veggies. His body is still growing and needs good, nutritious food.

Good luck!