Occasional Contributor

Help!! My oven coil just blew up on my 20-y/o range!

This has to be the worst time (unless it was next Thursday morning) for my oven to conk out.

The heating element in my elec. range oven got super-red hot (glowing), then I heard a loud POP -- and then, it wouldn't go past 135 degrees.

So, I am trying not to panic, but honestly, I really, really hate to spend $150 or more on a service call + parts/labor from Sears, because it's at least 16 y/o, as we've been here that long, and it wasn't new then.

BUT it's almond color, and matches the fridge, sink, wallpaper, countertops, etc. If I get new, I want white since I hate stainless steel with a passion plus it's too contemporary for my home decor style, and black's just too hard to keep pristine and spotless.

Lowes have deals on packages for stove, fridge and dishwashers, but I don't need the other items, plus I also hate the french door fridges and wouldn't take one on a bet.

I am a paid member of consumer reports on-line, and even the $1,500 ranges aren't 100% perfect ratings, etc.

So......would you just shell out the $$$ for repair? I'm trying not to hyperventilate here this evening, girls.