Honored Contributor

I've been watching the History channel today, so i stumbled into an hour about the top ten foods consumed in the US.  Yikes!  It's a wonder we're a living nation.

I lost a few along the way, but #10 was fried chicken, #9 ice cream, #8 cheddar cheese, #7 was 7-11's Slurpee, #6 potao chips.  Chocolate was #4, McDonald's breakfast sandwiches were #3, #2 was more potatoes, but French fried this time, and #1 was a burger, the big and juicy ones!

Is all the talk about eating healthy just talk?

Honored Contributor

You just need to look around.  All the overweight and obese people did not get that way with healthy eating. 

I am all for the occasional treat.  I love a hamburger and fries once in a while..  At home I try to practice clean eating - no processed food.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess this should not surprise me but it really does. Now I know people have those types of foods once in a while but I had no idea they were the most consumed. I have to say that I eat really good 80-90% of the time and my family and most of my friends are the same. If I ate like that most of the time, I would feel horrible. Don't these people feel horrible and sluggish and without energy. Maybe that is all they have felt like so they don't realize how good eating feels. I haven't eaten at McDonalds since high school, I am not against fast food once in a while but Mc Ds is just gross. I do eat hamburgers occasionally but I grind the meat and do combos of better cuts of meat. I also have a slurpee about once a year when we go visit family in NY, we don't have them here. I love a good blue rasp/banana/pina colada mix. I could NEVER eat like daily, weekly or even monthly. I would have no energy and feel ill. 

I used to work with a girl who drank a 2 liter of coke a day and would eat from either McDs, BK, Taco Bell or KFC. She would actually tell me how she had no energy and never felt well and wondered why. I was like really, you have no idea why? I don't know how she could stomach eating that junk every single day. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

I'm afraid, for the most part, it is.  Junk food is so easily available that if people don't take better responsibility for what they eat, obesity will become a growing problem and will be at the heart of the health care crisis in our country.

Honored Contributor

DiAnne wrote:

You just need to look around.  All the overweight and obese people did not get that way with healthy eating. 

I am all for the occasional treat.  I love a hamburger and fries once in a while..  At home I try to practice clean eating - no processed food.

What she said.  The numbers of obese people, especially in certain regions of the country, are HUGE (not meant as a pun) so there are certainly a lot of people who eat mostly junk.

Like others here, I eat the occasiional treat but it's not a way of life.  I couldn't eat like that if I tried!   When I see some of the menus people talk about I feel nauseated.   There are just millions of people who eat huge amounts of food and on a regular basis.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating. Really?

[ Edited ]

Obesity is already a very serious problem. Diabetes, heart disease, etc. all can be caused by over-eating and being obese. While it's not always the case (people will complain about theiir glands or they can't walk or whatever), eating everything and anything is serious in the US. Oh, and let's not forget that as we age, we gain weight. Everybody says so.

And those of us who do watch our weight and who are careful about eating healthy also pay the price for those who do not. Our insurance premiums continue to skyrocket because we have to pay for those who have those problems and also do not have health insurance. 

My DH's workplace has started to require bloodwork as part of a reduction in health insurance deductibles. If you don't agree to the testing, you will pay full price. If you do agree to the testing and your bloodwork is within normal limits, you will get a reduced deductible. It's like making those who smoke pay for their actions. You want to eat that stuff and be obese? Pay for it.

Ever really stop and look at the supermarket flyers? Most of the stuff that's on sale are things like potato chips, Cheez-its, soda, convenience foods, and so on. The stuff that's good for you, the stuff that's healthy? You'll pay full price for most of it.

Not all that long ago, the average size for the American woman was a size 12. Then it went to a 14. I believe now, the average American woman wears a size 16. But heaven forbid, our designers tell us we are fat. So what used to be a size 10 is now considered a size 12. What used to be size 12 is now considered a size 14. 

Next time you walk around the mall or next time you're in a restaurant, look at the people. Most of them are fat. Sorry, but it's the truth and let's not sugar coat it. Fat. It is what it is. Whether you want to call it muffin tops or pleasingly plump or plus-size, the bottom line is that the US is a nation of fat people.

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

Obesity is already a very serious problem. Diabetes, heart disease, etc. all can be caused by over-eating and being obese. While it's not always the case (people will complain about theiir glands or they can't walk or whatever), eating everything and anything is serious in the US. Oh, and let's not forget that as we age, we gain weight. Everybody says so.

And those of us who do watch our weight and who are careful about eating healthy also pay the price for those who do not. Our insurance premiums continue to skyrocket because we have to pay for those who have those problems and also do not have health insurance. 

My DH's workplace has started to require bloodwork as part of a reduction in health insurance deductibles. If you don't agree to the testing, you will pay full price. If you do agree to the testing and your bloodwork is within normal limits, you will get a reduced deductible. It's like making those who smoke pay for their actions. You want to eat that stuff and be obese? Pay for it.

Ever really stop and look at the supermarket flyers? Most of the stuff that's on sale are things like potato chips, Cheez-its, soda, convenience foods, and so on. The stuff that's good for you, the stuff that's healthy? You'll pay full price for most of it.

Not all that long ago, the average size for the American woman was a size 12. Then it went to a 14. I believe now, the average American woman wears a size 16. But heaven forbid, our designers tell us we are fat. So what used to be a size 10 is now considered a size 12. What used to be size 12 is now considered a size 14. 

Next time you walk around the mall or next time you're in a restaurant, look at the people. Most of them are fat. Sorry, but it's the truth and let's not sugar coat it. Fat. It is what it is. Whether you want to call it muffin tops or pleasingly plump or plus-size, the bottom line is that the US is a nation of fat people.

This is why so many lower income people have weight or food related health issues. They eat what they can afford. They eat what is donated to food pantries, the bulk of which is pre packaged processed foods. So perhaps a lot of those you seem to be disgusted by, are that way because they cannot afford to eat healthy.

And that process with your health insurance is treading on a pretty slippery slope in my opinion. If they were testing for use of drugs, nicotine or excessive alcohol use, and basing rates or deductibles on that, I would agree, because none of those things do people need. 

But to base it on factors determined by food (i'm guessing weight, BMI, blood sugar levels etc.), really isn't fair (per those above that eat what they can afford). And I would question what will it be next, that they choose to discriminate against certain people with. Will you be penalized for not eating only organic foods? Will you pay more if you are eating all fresh foods, but they are GMO's? Will they make your deductible higher if you ski and risk breaking a leg, or go to the beach for vacation because you are increasing your risk of skin cancer?

I'd say let's start with people receiving welfare and food stamps and require testing for drugs and nicotine, then remove offenders from the roles. That should free up a lot of money to feed the poor a more healthy diet, thereby lowering obesity rates tremendously.

Trusted Contributor

Many companies have been requesting blood work to prove their employees are non-smokers, so this isn't anything new. In fact, several years, when DH's company requested bloodwork for non-smokers, I asked him then....what's next? A proper weight? Bloodwork for cholesterol or diabetes? And yep, that came next. 

Employees are not required to have blood work. Not at all. But they will pay the full premium for their health insurance through the company if they don't. They also had three years, I believe it was, to get their cholesterol, sugar, etc. under control. 

And you're right....simply put, most people cannot afford to eat healthy. Are there coupons for produce or for milk? No. The coupons are for junk food. Lots of white rice, lots of white breads and the like. And that's what people buy because, for many of them, that's all they can afford.

Believe me, trying to stay away from the junk is a struggle for me, too, as well as for my DH. But we are careful in what we eat and in exercising faithfully every day. It's hard line to walk and it doesn't get any easier. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating. Really?

[ Edited ]

I think it is fairly possible to buy healthier and spend less.  I notice that when I buy mostly healthier food products I spend less.   Produce - you can usually get some great fruits and veg, potatoes, etc, for decent prices.  

Also, frozen veg is almost as good and my store, even though it is not one of the less expensive stores, frequently has bagged frozen veg on ad for very cheap.  Rice is inexpensive.  You get a whole lot of servings of rice for a few dollars.

Even buying meat you can get in and out without spending a ton of money.

What seems to me to cost more is the processed food products and the fast food joints..  That can really add up over the period of a week or month.

I also think that some really get in habits that they have a hard time breaking.    They accustom their kids to the junk food and then cannot see clear to changing them over to fresh, healthier foods.  That also applies to fast food.

I knew a woman who let her kid eat fast food for EVERY meal, EVERY DAY.  She never worked and sat on her butt doing whatever she wanted, which did not include cooking for the kid and all he ate was garbage.   I once told her that that was going to kill him one day.  Of course, she told me that I didn't know what I was talking about.  Uh, ok.  SMH  

But the amount of money spent on that kind of eating is just a lot of wasted money, IMO.  I'm not saying that one should never EVER eat something convenient or unhealthy.  But there are no good qualities in having it become the habit.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

This!  That list is not the average person's weekly menu.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.