Highlighted
Super Contributor

Has your taste for certain foods changed since getting older?

Once in a while I'm in the mood for a piece of good chocolate, but most of the time it turns me off.

I loved it as a child.

I never make chocolate desserts anymore unless it's requested by someone.

I wish I'd lose my taste for potato chips, but that hasn't happened yet.

Has your taste changed?

Contributor

Re: Has your taste for certain foods changed since getting older?

i can only say that i still LOVE chocolate, but many of my "older" friends have said that now they love salty snacks more Smile i totally get the potato chip addiction, though!

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I'd lose my sweet tooth. Hershey's gives me heartburn, no other chocolates do.

Chocolate covered potato chips are really yummy.

As kids we used to dip potato chips in chocolate ice cream.

Respected Contributor

I'm just more aware of what I am eating since getting older. My tastes have not really changed. I never did like milk chocolate. I rarely eat chocolate either, but if I do, it has to be a really special dark chocolate...like a solid dark chocolate truffle.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Yes, my taste has changed tremendously over the years, and because I have more problems now than ever with my food allergies, I can also tell that my body chemistry has changed. Besides the long list of foods I tested allergic to, I have a growing list of foods my body can no longer tolerate---all being basic foods I ate for many years with no hint of issues---like bacon and sausage. These days I find myself more tolerant of bananas, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and sweet potatoes.

Frequent Contributor

I don't like spicy or salty foods as much as I did.

Super Contributor

There's a few things that my taste has changed with over the years. When I was younger, I liked chocolate, but other than maybe some hot cocoa in the winter, probably didn't eat it more than about once every 3 months. About 10 years ago that changed, and now I think it should be the foundation of the food pyramid! Especially dark chocolate! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Another thing that's changed is my taste for venison, duck and pheasant - some wild game that is common for people to have here. I used to like it a lot, but somewhere along the way lost my taste for it, and now I can't stand it.

I went through a couple year phase where I couldn't tolerate the taste of butter, but that's long gone. But now I can't drink milk, only use it for cooking.

I hear ya on the potato chips. With some bermuda or french onion chip dip, they're my guilty pleasure.

Super Contributor

only that I only eat nutritious foods now. I only eat food that my body can use for health.

Valued Contributor

Just do not like the gooey, sickening sweet desserts I used to like. Some sweets are okay, but when I see them fix those rich ones it turns me off. Didn't used to be that way. Also, finding I am lactose intolerant I think. Still trying the almond milks and taking lactaid tabs. I believe it is helping. Interesting input from Mary Bailey...I have a square of dark choc. everyday and seem to be having heartburn a lot. I will switch from Hersheys to something else and try that. Maybe we change our taste for foods, because our body is telling us something??

Trusted Contributor

Never liked salmon, spinach or beets as a kid; I love those things now.

As I young adult, I enjoyed a lot of spicy food. I still like spicy food, but I can't take it quite as hot as I once did.

I also do not like "gooey, sickening sweets" as nomar calls them. I still enjoy desserts, but I'd rather have a slice of fruit pie than something like a slice of chocolate caramel cake or a candy bar.

I don't drink any soft drinks and have cut way back on my dairy intake as I've grown older. Both those items make me feel bloated. I have also reduced my alcohol intake significantly--not that I was ever a heavy drinker, but now I only have an occasional beer or glass of wine, and rarely do I have more than one drink at a time. I don't know why, it just doesn't appeal to me that much.

On the whole, I definitely eat much healthier these days than I did when I was younger. I try to stay away from processed junk these days. Part of that is out of necessity (wanting to be healthier, watching my weight), but mostly it is just my preference. "Real" food tastes so much better to me!