Respected Contributor

Has anyone air fried salmon or crab cakes?

Has anyone done salmon or crab cakes in the air fryer yet?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone air fried salmon or crab cakes?

I did crab cakes in my Emeril AF using Allison Waggoners( sic) recipe and they were delicious, BUT, the AF blew them around.....If you bought a frozen form of crab cakes from your grocer, I'm sure they will be fine: flip midway-that seems to be the rule.

Salmon....I haven't done that yet: I think that would depend on whether or not you are doing a steak or fillet.  Always start with a lesser time-that is about all I can tell you.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

We tend to use canned salmon for salmon patties down here, but we do have salmon fillets in our freezer sections of the grocery store. We don't have fresh salmon. We also find crab meat canned but fresh crab are avaliable.
Respected Contributor

It can't hurt to try. Alison Wagoners recipe used fresh crab and next to no filler-they were delicious

If I were to make them again-or salmon patties- if I was using the Emeril, I would bring the temp down a little.  I can control the fan in my Gourmia so that's an idea too.

I will tell you one thing though, all air fryers do a bang up job with fried fish: there's no reason to fry it the conventional way.  Best of all?  No lingering odors!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I made a mistake: I can't control the fan speed on the Gourmia: it does have a defrost setting however that I have never used before.  I want to try it today: I have not made salmon cakes in awhile, so guess what I'm having for lunch! I'm going to have to look up the recipe in one of my AF books: I want to see what temperature ranges we are dealing with.

I had a friend over for lunch when I made the crab cakes: it's a no brainer recipe. I have made kale and spinach chips with no blowing-I was embarrassed by how the crab cakes blew around-especially after extolling the virtues of the AF!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I have done frozen crab cakes in my Air Fryer and they came out just fine.

I have also done fresh salmon in my Air Fryer, and they were a bit drier than doing them in the oven.  Plus, getting them out of the fryer can be difficult since they tend to fall apart unless you put foil underneath that you can use as handles.  All in all, doing them the way I do them is easier and less cleanup in the oven.  So, that is the way I will be doing them in the future.  Marinate and cook in the same foil lined pan, so when done I just throw the foil away.  

Respected Contributor

You all have given me food for thought.  I will try these this weekend, probably Sunday to go with a salad.  I will use the below salmon cake recipe.  I also share a nice looking crab cake recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/240130/scrumptious-salmon-cakes/?src=VD_Summary

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19489/maryland-crab-cakes-ii/?prop26=dailydish&prop25=121799&prop27=201...

I have salmon, so I'll start there.  Tonight it is spinach and ricotta ravioli in Alfredo sauce with chicken Italian sausages and red, yellow, and orange peppers.  I'm doing a side salad with three cheese garlic bread on the side.  YUM.  When I eat that all up, I'll do the salmon.  I may end up out of ravioli by Saturday morning, so lunch may be the salmon cakes.

Respected Contributor

Tigriss,don't forget to set a place at your table for me: I am bringing dessert! Over on Recipes, Gardenesia posted a wonderful Easy Nigella Lawson cake: I made my second one yesterdaySmiley Happy

Poodlepet2