Trusted Contributor

If....or if...you could/do have a container grown kitchen use herb garden, what herbs would you/do you grow.......{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Every year we grow: sage, rosemary, chives, thyme, parsley, basil. Sometimes: cilantro. We grow in a tiered container on our patio.

We also container grow: tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries. Last year I got a apple tree in a container. I hope our stuff makes it through this winter.

Honored Contributor

Mary...I LOVE fresh herbs. I keep buying lovely basil plants as I use them in fresh sauces in my blender. However, they seem to need to be replaced frequently as they sprout a flower like growth that is not edible. Am I doing something wrong. TJ's sells beautiful basil plants in season.

Esteemed Contributor

phoenixbird - I'm constantly pinching off flowering herbs. We get herbs as soon as available and they last well until frost. I wanted to grow them indoors this winter, but never got around to it.

Honored Contributor

I have tried many times over the years to grow herbs in my kitchen without success. I have bought grow lights with special planters, etc. I now have a sky light in my kitchen and it is still a no go! Not even rosemary makes it...

Valued Contributor
I grow rosemary, chives, parsley and basil in pots. Brought them in the house in Oct. and this month everything died but the rosemary--happens most winters. However I do have stock and heliotrope that are doing fine?!? I keep sage and thyme in the ground, they were green until January, so I think they'll come back.
Trusted Contributor

My house is built facing due south, and even with many and large windows, the light is not right inside to grow much of anything..and..I have a large across the front porch that cuts out a lot of the natural light in my kitchen for growing plants..I can not even get my zygo cactus to bloom any more..If I try to put anything outside, even on the porch, there are so many critters that will come and ring the door bell to give you a tip for the fresh dinner they have just eaten.....{#emotions_dlg.w00t} We are talking, fox, bunnies, boar, deer, moles, and many others.....My house is like the frat house with an always flowing keg......the TRUE Animal House...{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

We have a small herb garden, right off of the flower garden in the back yard. We grow sage, lavender, mint, several kinds of basil, oregano, rosemary, several kinds of parsley, and some chives. I'm not particularly crazy about cilantro, so haven't tried to grow that. The secret to compact, very bushy herb plants is pinching. Lots of pinching.

We can't bring the annual herbs into the house because the cats consider any greenery inside as lunch. It just doesn't work. But I do bring leaves and bunches in throughout the summer and dry them in the dehydrator to use during the winter. Then the following spring, I buy new basil plants and such. The lavender is a perennial as are some of the other plants.

I love going out in the early morning and cutting mint for mint tea. Mint tea made with fresh mint is delicious and so refreshing on a hot summer day after working in the garden all day long.

DH has suggested moving the herb garden to its own little space in the back yard and he may do that this spring.

Frequent Contributor

I grow an assortment of herbs, Oregano and Greek Oregano, Chives, Garlic Chives, Basil, Marjoram, Parsley, Sage; while Mrs Camo grows all sorts of mint, and catnip for the kitties.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I don't have any luck with growing herbs in a container inside the house, they take, but I can't keep them going.