Respected Contributor

Good News and Bad News regarding the WP portable rice cooker!

Update:  I said I was going to order this and I did last night.  It was $24.?? AND I got the insulated carrying case for $9.99 instead of close to $20.  The prices went up to regular price this morning to almost $40 and $20.  So I ordered just in time to get the sale prices and I didn't know the prices were going up today!  That is the GOOD news.

The BAD news is that I missed the Marian Getz Rice cookbook.  I jumped on it fast when it said ONE LEFT and when I clicked the button it said "sold out".  Dang!!! 

I had been waiting to order the cooker until the cookbook came into stock.  I just didn't check early enough yesterday.

I will continue to check for the cookbook to come back into stock.   In the meantime, I'll wait for my cooker and muddle through recipes of my own. LOL

If anyone notices that rice cookbook back in stock, please let me know.

Anyone care to share things they cook in theirs?  I'm excited to get it!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Good News and Bad News regarding the WP portable rice cooker!

MIMA, this made me laugh out loud just now!  As sorry as I am that you missed out for now on the cookbook (I'll keep an eye out for when Wolfie comes back into town) I am glad you were able to purchase the rice cooker.

It is such a shame, there used to be one or two threads where people shared their experiences and recipes but I am afraid they are lost.  Let me see if I can find one or the other and I'll post it.

In the meantime, I like what Mothertrucker said.  You basically just toss a bunch of stuff (usually leftovers) in there and hit the switch.  It really is that easy.

Oh and I really does make great rice!

I'll check back in with what I can find . . . 

Honored Contributor

MIMA, I can't believe it but I was actually organized enough to have a separate folder with WP ricer cooker recipes!  As you will see, some are from the cookbook and some are improvised from other recipes:

Easy Meatloaf Recipe

8 oz lean ground beef, raw

2 T yellow onions chopped

1 large egg

1 T yellow mustard

1 slice sliced bread, torn into small pieces

1 T whole milk

Salt & Pepper to Taste

1 t Worcestershire sauce

1/4 t ground sage

1/4 c ketchup

1/2 c French fried onions, store bought

In mixing bowl, blend together all ingredients, except French fried onions.

Spoon mixture into the rice cooker then smooth the top.

Close lid & press Cook.

Cook for 40-45 mins or until the meatloaf is cooked through (165° on meat thermometer).

When cooking is complete, top with French fried onions, garnish as desired & serve.

Recipe for the 1.5 cup rice cooker (3 cups cooked) 1-2 Servings Enjoy!!!

Mac & Cheese Recipe

3/4 c Elbow Macaroni, Uncooked

1 t chicken flavored base

3/4 c water

1/2 c heavy cream

1/4 c Cheddar cheese, shredded

1/4 c Mozzarella cheese

1 T Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, except all cheeses, in the rice cooker & stir.

Close lid & press Cook.

When rice cooker switches to Warm (about 20-25 mins), stir in the cheeses thoroughly.

Close lid & press Cook again (this is where the brown crust forms on the bottom).

When rice cooker switches to Warm again, remove, garnish as desired & serve.

Recipe for the 1.5 cup rice cooker (3 cups cooked) 1-2 Servings

Tonight I made the recipe from the cookbook  "Dad's Turn to Cook Pasta." I listed the recipe below with the variations I made noted with *
1/2 Cup - Pork Sausage (*I used Extra Lean Ground Turkey, from frozen but I thawed it out in the rice cooker for a few minutes and broke it up before adding other ingredients)
1/2 Cup - Small Size Pasta (*Ziti)
1/2 Cup - Pasta Sauce Jarred (*I made fresh with plain tomato sauce, fresh basil, red onion, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt... all tossed right into the rice cooker with the other ingredients)
1/4 Cup - Water or Chicken Stock ... I used stock
2 Tbsp - Ricotta Cheese (*Fresh mozzarella)
2 Tbsp - Italian Dressing (*skipped this)
Salt and pepper to taste (*I added mine above)
1/4 Cup - Italian Blend Cheese shredded (*skipped this, the mozzarella was enough)

I was leery about cooking pasta right in the sauce like this but it came out PERFECT! The recipe says to cook for 20-25 minutes, but mine switched off to warm after less than 15 or so? It sat on warm for maybe another 5-10 minutes while I was on the phone and it was still perfect. DELICIOUS!!!
This made enough for one portion as a meal by itself, could serve two if you had other sides/salad... or there was plenty of room left in the pot to allow for doubling the recipe.

Smothered Pork Chop
1/2 c beef stock
2 t flour
2 thin cut boneless pork chops
1/4 c mushrooms, sliced
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1/4 t ground thyme
1 T unsalted butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the stock & flour until smooth.
Pour stock mixture & remaining ingredients into the rice cooker.
Close lid & press cook.
Cook 25-30 mins or until pork is fork tender & gravy is thick & bubbly.
When cooking is complete, garnish as desired & serve.
Found another use for my little WP rice cooker. Today for lunch I placed 6 frozen pot stickers in it with a little water and a few drops of olive oil and turned it on. About 15 minutes or so I went back and my pot stickers were done to perfection.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the recipes MTC!!!

Honored Contributor

You are most welcome Mima, I truly hope you enjoy your cooker as much as I do.

I remember when I first bought it I thought, what is up with you people and all these accolades but now I totally get it.  What a great little appliance for those that don't cook for a crowd!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Ladies, I think I found the "old" WP rice cooker thread. I bumped it forward. There are lots of tips & recipes in there too!

Thanks for the recipes mtc. You are the reason I use my version of the cooker so often!!!

Honored Contributor

Hopefully they will get it back in stock soon. I looked online & could not find it any place except Amazon where they want $161 for it new or $156 for it used. LOL!!! Are these people serious? Do they really think someone would pay that for it? If you need any recipes from it let us know. I have the cookbook & can post any recipe you need.

Honored Contributor

Nightowl, the other day it was on Amazon for $147 so whomever this person is they are actually bumping up the price!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I've never had the courage to cook anything in mine except rice.  lol  I love how it turns out though.  Instead, I use my pressure cooker a lot.

Respected Contributor

I just bumped up another recipe thread for the WP Portable Rice Cooker, @mima.   I was sorry to see that you missed out on Marian's cookbook, but I'm sure they'll be back in stock soon.  In the meantime, the two threads should give you plenty of ideas and goodies to keep you going until the book's restocked.  I use mine nearly every day...sometimes more than once.  I have two.  Best kitchen purchase of 2015!   Enjoy!Smiley Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?