Valued Contributor

Re: Ghee- not sure if it turned out right.

[ Edited ]

I have been wanting to make Ghee forever and I keep putting it off.  I did buy Kerry Gold Irish Butter to make it, but, it is salted.  Since it should be unsalted I need to go buy unsalted quality butter.  What I have read over the years that Ghee is similar to but not the same as clarified butter.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Respected Contributor

I am doing the Whole 30 plan, and it called for ghee.  They had a recipe for making it but found it at Sprouts for $7.99.  Yes @house_cat, it is solid in the jar and needs a little help melting.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions on how to use it with various dishes.   

Honored Contributor

This is the tutorial I used to make it.  The woman is a physician and she also has a wonderful blog.

tutorial

blog

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat This has nothing to do with the topic of your post, but whenever I click into the kitchen board and see your post near the top, at quick glance I think it says Glee.  And I wonder 1) am I on the entertainment board?  or 2) why are they talking about Glee on the kitchen board?  Thank you for the chuckles.  Smiley Happy

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

I buy mine at the Asian/Indian grocery store at a much better price.

Respected Contributor

Costco sells ghee also.

It's in a large container and sells for $16.99.  Definitely would be cheaper than butter.  It's not refrigerated, it's on the isle with the baking items. 

Respected Contributor

@chicagoan wrote:

I have been wanting to make Ghee forever and I keep putting it off.  I did buy Kerry Gold Irish Butter to make it, but, it is salted.  Since it should be unsalted I need to go buy unsalted quality butter.  What I have read over the years that Ghee is similar to but not the same as clarified butter.

I use salted for clarified and Ghee.   Ghee is cooked longer before you separate the milk fat at the bottom.   I like it to be very brown before I consider it done.    I use cheesecloth to strain it.    For clarified, just spoon off the top foam and pour it carefully leaving the milk fat at the bottom.    I also freeze both in silicone cupcake forms or square ice cube holders.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@house_cat This has nothing to do with the topic of your post, but whenever I click into the kitchen board and see your post near the top, at quick glance I think it says Glee.  And I wonder 1) am I on the entertainment board?  or 2) why are they talking about Glee on the kitchen board?  Thank you for the chuckles.  Smiley Happy

@Stargazer77

It probably should be on the Entertainment board... for us foodies, at least.

We get our kicks in the kitchen!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Costco sells ghee also.

It's in a large container and sells for $16.99.  Definitely would be cheaper than butter.  It's not refrigerated, it's on the isle with the baking items. 

I bought mine at Sprouts but will look for it at Costco.  My problem is that I put it in the refrigerator making it very hard to spoon out.  Now I know it is not to be refrigerated and will use it more frequently.  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Debic for letting me know you can use salted butter, I just bought 6 packages of the Kerry gold (the only butter I buy, addicitive).   

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you