Valued Contributor

Saw Paula Deen this a.m. on E selling her ham.....8 lb. - $76.44 + $4.99 S&H.  Seriously??  That's over $10 per pound.  And she's selling it.  I never cease to be amazed what people are willing to pay for convenience.  Expensive Piggy.

Trusted Contributor

@Blk&GoldFan. That's to go with the "platinum" deadliest catch stuff. 3.5 lbs well over 100.00.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with you - the price of all the food on the Q is outrageous per pound - yet people will buy buy buy.  I haven't purchased one food item for all the years I purchased at the Q.  The only thing I have purchased from HSN is the Ferris Cherry Berry Nut mixes - love it - but then Kroger was selling 1 pound bags of Ferris for $6.99 over the holiday season which saved me about 50% - I was in heaven - but it was just for the holidays. 

Honored Contributor

I'm puzzled as to why it bothers people to see the food prices, when obviously they are big sellers on the shopping channels.  People like what they see and are willing to pay the price.  OK by me.

Honored Contributor

At that price, it must arrive wrapped in gold leaf.

Honored Contributor

Years and years ago I bought the little sirloin steaks wrapped in bacon. They had a good flavor, just the right size... small but every single one of them was loaded with gristle and they were expensive.

My biggest disappointment a few years ago was a spiral ham, over $70 that came in a packaging that stopped me from "seeing" the meat and bone.  When I opened it to make it for our holiday dinner it had a HUGE bone in it and guessing I'd say half the item was fat.  Not near enough meat for the people coming to dinner so I had to run to the grocery store to buy another ham... twice the size, normal bone and normal fat (approx. $25).

I've also purchased a Prime Rib, it was good but no better than what I've purchased in the grocery store for less.

I've also purchased the sides for a meal and again, following instructions to a T, they (each one) were very disappointing and very expensive and were generally not eaten duing the meal.

I have tried Jrs. Cheeze Cake, delicious, but yes, expensive and the last one I purchased was at least 10 - 12 years ago.

I think that's just about it, except recently I purchased the Corazonas bars and was pleasantly surprised.  I like them, have one in the morning with my coffee.  

I think a lot of customers are willing to pay for the convenience of not going out and purchasing the items (for whatever reason, health, etc.) and think they are getting something far better for the money than what is in the grocery store.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@Krimpette

Didn't say I was bothered by the pricing.  More shocked that people continue to buy @ these price points with no guarantee of quality.

Honored Contributor

Re: GOLDEN HAM???

[ Edited ]

@Blk&GoldFan wrote:

@Krimpette

Didn't say I was bothered by the pricing.  @More shocked that people continue to buy @ these price points with no guarantee of quality.

my guess is is that evine has the same policy as qvc. i have not purchased food from evine, but i have from qvc.

there is a guarantee of quality......no risk to the buyer. if you have a problem with the ham then all you have to do is call customer service and they will give you a full refund. i think that that is a great incentive to try food products on qvc.

there are stores here in my area that sell carved hams or spiral hams or whole hams that are prepared for $10 plus a pound.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

You do pay for convenience, but I have had pretty good luck with my food choices from the Q. The ham I bought from them at Christmas was 70 dollars and the best ham we ever had. I have had steaks from the Q that were not up u par and I complained to CS and I didn't have to pay for them. One time my Wolvermans English Muffins came damaged from transit and they told me to keep the ones I had and they would send me a new order no charge.. I certainly can't complain.

Honored Contributor

There are many reasons people purchase food from the shopping channels.  For example, my mother can't go to the local grocery store store to hunt down a bargain.  Even if she did, she would have trouble getting it in the wagon, out of the wagon at the checkout, into the car and out of the car.  

When I was going through chemo, I physically couldn't go grocery shopping.  I don't live near family and had friends do the shopping.  If I was able to order something online, I did as to not impose too much on others.  My local grocery stores don't offer home delivery.  I didn't order food from the shopping channels, but am able to see where that can be a blessing for some.