Regular Contributor

I think it's summer that is making me think of this, but back in the 70's I remember my mom had a glass container on the counter with a mixture of fruit, pineapple being the only one I remember. She called it fermented fruit and would use it mainly for putting on ice cream.

Now she didn't make it herself, you would get a starter from someone and just keep adding fruit as needed to keep it going. I don't even know how it would be started?

Honored Contributor

MOST DELICIOUS, ADDICTIVE TOPPING ON EARTH, and I NEVER exaggerrate! (LOL).

But Jeepers, on vanilla Ice cream it IS yummy!!!!!

I believe my aunt made it from a recipe, not a starter, so you should be able to find something about it online I think.

I think peaches and maraschino cherries were used with the pineapple. It actually does develop a bit of a kick when it's ready to serve.

There might have been rum somewhere in the starter but I forget that too.

I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for a happy and SWEET ( though calorie laden) memory!

Trusted Contributor

I believe what you are referring to is also called a "rum pot" or "rumtopf."

Googlng either of these terms will give you information on the method and tradition.  Delicious!

Honored Contributor

Amish Friendship Fruit--there are a million recipes online.  It's something like this:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/kp4al4qm/amish-friendship-fruit-starter.html

Honored Contributor

Never heard of eating fermented fruit or putting it on top of ice cream. I did buy a pineapple a few years ago that had fermented. After I cut it up & took a bite I said YUCK. DH said what's wrong with it? I said it tastes like liquor. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor
Liquor is fermentation, so I am a bit surprised to find an Amish recipe for this considering it isn't cooked and can cause intoxication, something they are against. I would have to taste this before I went to the expense to make it. I'm not sure I would like fermented fruit.
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
Liquor is fermentation, so I am a bit surprised to find an Amish recipe for this considering it isn't cooked and can cause intoxication, something they are against. I would have to taste this before I went to the expense to make it. I'm not sure I would like fermented fruit.

I can't imagine anyone not liking it.  We used to make it in the 1980s and it is WONDERFUL over ice cream.  Fruit, sugar syrup, a little "zip" to it!  Ice cream with it?  Nothing there not to like!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor
My dad always had one going..called it a rumpot.I think technically it's called"
"Rhumtopf"....I did it for Christmas gifts one year...delicious..we used pineapple chunks cherries apricot halves raspberries...you name it...
Respected Contributor

Good thing it doesn't taste like liquor.  I don't think I would like that.  I don't even like when I get too much vanilla in things.  I may have to try this when the weather cools some.

Regular Contributor

Yea like I said this was back in the 70's and all I remember was that my mom was given some and that she had to keep adding to it.

But in my adult years I had something once where pineapple rings were soaked in rum, when you drank the liquid it was like just drinking pineapple juice, but when you ate the pineapple ring, it was pure rum.