Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Desserts

[ Edited ]

Yes, they are very similar. Sometimes I can't taste a difference between the two. It depends on how the sweet potato pie is made. Sometimes cane syrup is used in sweet potato pie, which gives a bit stronger flavor to the pie IMO. They both have spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.).

My DH loves sweet potato pie. He ate it a lot growing up. It's a southern tradition in some families.

Esteemed Contributor

Had to pick up the heavy cream before I could try this one.  Can't wait....

No Bake Pumpkin Pie in a Jar

Pumpkin Pie Filling

15 oz can pumpkin puree

5 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

pinch of cloves

2 Tbsp heavy cream

Cream Cheese Mousse

3 egg whites

1/2 cup sugar

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1/4 tsp vanilla

2 cups mini marshmallows

Cookie Layer

1 1/2 cups chopped gingersnaps and graham crackers (I used 4 graham crackers, 8 small gingersnaps)

Instructions

Pumpkin Pie Filling

1. Scoop pumpkin puree into a medium sized bowl.
  2. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cloves and heavy cream and mix well.
  3. Set in refrigerator to firm while you make the mousse. 

Cream Cheese Mousse

1. Add egg whites to your mixer bowl (separate from pumpkin pie filling) and beat on medium-high until soft peaks form.
  2. While beating, slowly add sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form again. Mixture will go from being kind of frothy to smooth and will gain volume. When done, set egg white mixture aside.
  3. In another bowl, mix cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth.
  4. Add cream cheese mixture to egg white mixture and combine.
  5. Melt marshmallows in a small bowl in the microwave, about 15-30 seconds.
  6. Add melted marshmallows to egg white and cream cheese mixture and mix until well combined.
  7. Refrigerate for an hour or so. 

To assemble

1. Start with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the graham cracker/gingersnap crumbs on the bottom of the jar.
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie filling.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mousse.
  4. Repeat layers 1-3. You should have 2 of each layer.
  5. At this point, you can put the tops on the jar to keep in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve them, top with whipped cream and a caramel drizzle, if desired. 

Yield: 6 Pumpkin Pies in a Jar Ingredients

Honored Contributor

homemade pumpkin cheesecake or pecan pie

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Homemade pumpkin pie plus some sort of apple dessert for those that do not like pumpkin.  Pecan pie is just too sweet for me - it makes my teeth hurt.  Of course whipped cream.

Respected Contributor

We always have pumpkin pie from real pumpkins. I never knew what canned pumpkin was for until a lady in line told me in my mid 20s. She wanted to know what I use. I told her pumpkins, duh!

We have pumpkin pie, pecan pie (made with pecans from the yard), thin layer chocolate cake, cheese cake, and some gluten free cookies and brownies for my nephew who has a wheat allergy. We may also have another cake or two depending upon who brings what. We are about 20 people for Thanksgiving, so lots of food with a ham and turkey as the meats. We are smoking the turkey this year. I can't wait! We have tons of veggies and corn bread dressing too! We have fresh mustard greens from the garden and cabbages too! enjoy all!
Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I buy a huge box of petit-fours from Swiss Colony and bring some to Thanksgiving at my sister's home, to Christmas Eve at my parent's home and to my FIL's home on Christmas day.

I also make a Gingerbread-pumpkin Trifle.

We always have pumpkin pie and usually a fruit pie.  When my MIL was with us, there was wonderful pecan pie on Christmas day.

I also make pumpkin gingerbread trifle. It's so good.

Respected Contributor

@tkins wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I always have a Pumpkin pie as I love pumpkin but would like some suggestions on having something else also. Thanks

Hi cuddlesmama,

My special pumpkin pie is a mandatory Thanksgiving requirement, I usually end up making 3, two for the potluck we go to and one for us.  I love pumpkin too and one of my favorite pumpkin recipes is called Magic Pumpkin Buckle.  It is really good as a side dish, dessert or for breakfast and can be made with pumpkin or sweet potatoes. It is really fast and easy to throw together. The ingredients are normal pantry staples, that I always have on hand, so it is great for spur of the moment or unexpected company.                                

Magic Pumpkin Buckle                            

CRUST:

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

FILLING:

3 cups canned pumpkin 

1 cup evaporated milk

2 Eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg

TOPPING:

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons sugar

Directions

Pour butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, milk and eggs. Combine the remaining filling ingredients; add to pumpkin mixture. Pour over crust mixture (do not stir). Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown.

Yield: 12 servings.

Hope you enjoy it if you try it.

tkins

Thank you soo much! This was soo sweet of you topost this recipe. Will be trying!!

Trusted Contributor

We usually have an apple pie, a pumpkin pie,and I make pecan  squares which i like a lot better than traditional pecan pie.  I've always loved pecan pie, but the filling is just too thick and sweet for my liking. Years ago I found a recipe for pecan squares and ever since I've been making those instead of pecan pie.  You make them in a pan a little larger than a 13 by 9 inch and it makes a lot!  The crust is easy because you press it in the pan, no rolling.  The filling is exactly the same as pecan pie except it's a much thinner layer and you really taste the nuts because they're not overpowered by that thick sweet sugary filling in a traditional pecan pie.  After it bakes and cools, you cut into squares and get over a dozen squares.  I usually slice them and place each square on a little lacey paper doiley and put them on a big platter; they look so pretty!  Then we top with whipped cream.  I would say that the pecan squares are like a big pecan tart! 

One year I made a pumpkin flan which you made in a loaf pan...everyone really liked that as it was different and light, not heavy.       

Super Contributor

Two pumpkin pies and some decorated sugar cookies are what I bring to the Thanksgiving dessert table.  My brother usually brings an apple pie and sometimes my daughter brings a triffle.  Who could ask for more???

Respected Contributor

Pumpkin pie - of couse!!, with whipped cream, of course!!

Apple pie, with vanilla ice cream.

i can taste them already!! Yum Yum...

-Texas Hill Country-