Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Desserts

I buy a huge box of petit-fours from Swiss Colony and bring some to Thanksgiving at my sister's home, to Christmas Eve at my parent's home and to my FIL's home on Christmas day.

I also make a Gingerbread-pumpkin Trifle.

We always have pumpkin pie and usually a fruit pie.  When my MIL was with us, there was wonderful pecan pie on Christmas day.

Honored Contributor

We make cheesecake and vary the toppings from year to year.

Esteemed Contributor

Squash pie (not pumpkin, though that's nice too) is a tradition in my family; made from One Pie canned squash. It's less sweet than pumpkin but equally creamy and yummy. We also always have Indian pudding (a New England classic), a cheesecake and an apple crisp. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

My family and I all love MinceMeat Pie.  Sweet Potato comes in a close second.

Does Sweet Potato Pie taste just like Pumpkin??

Respected Contributor

Mary Bailey, I Love petit foures (sp)  and I Double Love Gingergread!  Enjoy your family and those yummy deserts!

Super Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I always have a Pumpkin pie as I love pumpkin but would like some suggestions on having something else also. Thanks

Hi cuddlesmama,

My special pumpkin pie is a mandatory Thanksgiving requirement, I usually end up making 3, two for the potluck we go to and one for us.  I love pumpkin too and one of my favorite pumpkin recipes is called Magic Pumpkin Buckle.  It is really good as a side dish, dessert or for breakfast and can be made with pumpkin or sweet potatoes. It is really fast and easy to throw together. The ingredients are normal pantry staples, that I always have on hand, so it is great for spur of the moment or unexpected company.                                

Magic Pumpkin Buckle                            

CRUST:

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

FILLING:

3 cups canned pumpkin 

1 cup evaporated milk

2 Eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg

TOPPING:

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons sugar

Directions

Pour butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, milk and eggs. Combine the remaining filling ingredients; add to pumpkin mixture. Pour over crust mixture (do not stir). Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown.

Yield: 12 servings.

Hope you enjoy it if you try it.

tkins

Honored Contributor

We have Thanksgiving at my cousin's house.

I make a number of side veggie dishes, but this year I also tried something different.

Two local women, trained in France in patissiere, have a "pop up" shop and sell their croissants, brioches, etc. at farmer's markets and coffee houses. They are a very small operation, but everything they use is local.

I ordered a vanilla poached pear/almond paste butter tarte with creme anglaise. Looks yummy and I'm supporting local baers with a dream! 

Honored Contributor

I have to go with tradition.  Got to have Apple pie with vanilla ice cream.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much everyone!Much appreciated. You have given me lots of options!! Happy Thanksgiving !!

Honored Contributor

I grew up with the traditional pumpkin pie as the only dessert.  I ate it because it was pie, and the only dessert, but I complained.  I must have complained a lot, because eventually there was a second dessert.  Sometimes it was a second pie and sometimes it was my favorite coconut cake.   My aunt brought magic cookie bars one year, and they disappeared long before we ever ate our holiday meal!