Respected Contributor

Re: Fat Tuesday: is anybody celebrating?

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

It's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans-my hometown! I never knew that others celebrated the pre-Lenten season until we lived in a county close to Philly. Prior to Lent, Catholics and Protestants indulged in pancakes. The idea was to use up any butter in your house-or other indulgences-before a time of abstinence. Ahhh, how I wish I could have some Gambino's King Cake, but oh well.....are you celebrating?

Poodlepet2

We just cut a King Cake from Gambino's last night. Granddaughter was a Krewe Queen this year and we were finishing our celebration.  I was going to lay off it today, but I will sacrifice and eat a piece just for you. Maybe I might even eat a second piece later. It's a chilly Mardi Grss weekend, but the sun is bright and the weather is clear.  Wish you were here!!

Honored Contributor

There is a local restaurant that we love that has holiday gatherings as part of the regular schedule, and they had THE BEST GUMBO I think I've ever tasted.

They were distributing beads and playing Dixieland Jazz.

GREAT FUN!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tuesday is Paczki Day is Buffalo...my favorites!!! There are already in the stores, but I'm waiting until Tuesday.

SAsh Wednesday is a big day too...since it's the start of Fish Fry days in local church halls. Fish Fry Friday is something I like ALL year long!!!

Valued Contributor

YEP....Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday are one in the same here and we will be having Pancake Day.  Dinner is always a Pancake Dinner with bacon/sausage, etc.  Tradition came from people using up milk/eggs/fats before Lent starts.  I believe Tuesday is the day they have the Pancake races in England, too.

My DF and co-worker would always stop at a great local bakery after Ash Wednesday church service and bring us warm Hot Cross Buns before we'd start our Lenten fasting!

Honored Contributor

There is a family owned bakery that is famous for a lot of stuff, including paczkis for Fat Tuesday.  I don't care for them myself but I pass the bakery on my way to work every morning.  Tomorrow, the line at that place will be out the door and up the sidewalk.   

Honored Contributor

We're having a fat Tuesday pig-out day at work. I made some 7 layer bars.
Honored Contributor

The closest I can get here in Georgia is King Cake at one of the local supermarkets.  I told my nieces about "finding the baby" and they demanded one this year so they could try and be the Queen.  Smiley Very HappyHeart  

Honored Contributor

We don't celebrate from a religious perspective, but we surely like to indulge in a paczki or two.  Over the weekend, DH and I landed in a recommended bakery & cafe where we had some very decadent paczkies.  Mine was cream cheese w/fresh strawberry and his had chocolate mousse with chocolate shavings on top.  IMO, they weren't exactly traditional, but they were certainly incredible!  Some of his co-workers have been bringing paczkies into the office from a Polish bakery in the city.  He urged someone to bring more in for today and asked them to pick up a few extra for him to take home.  That said, dinner tonight is going to be ham and eggs with a paczki on the side.  

Respected Contributor

I think I gained ten pounds just reading about all of these goodies....I love doughnuts and nothing is better than a fresh hot doughnut and a cup of cafe au lait!  Perk up, what flavor was your King Cake?  My favorite is still the good old traditional which is a rich egg bread with the three colored sugars, but I have no objection to the marvelous sweet sticky pecan and cream cheese that Gambino's made/makes. Is Mckenzies still around?

Poodlepet2