Respected Contributor

Fat Tuesday: is anybody celebrating?

It's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans-my hometown! I never knew that others celebrated the pre-Lenten season until we lived in a county close to Philly. Prior to Lent, Catholics and Protestants indulged in pancakes. The idea was to use up any butter in your house-or other indulgences-before a time of abstinence. Ahhh, how I wish I could have some Gambino's King Cake, but oh well.....are you celebrating?

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Fat Tuesday: is anybody celebrating?

Almost every Episcopal Church has a pancake dinner for Shrove Tuesday. We will be having dinner at church.

Trusted Contributor

@Poodlepet2----DH thinks everyday is Fat Tuesday!  I never realized there was a pre-Lent time frame, just the 40 days of Lent.-----------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

Every day of the week is considered "Fat" for me-----

Honored Contributor

Thanks to the Super Bowl I will be celebrating fat Sunday, LOL .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

St. Louis celebrates Mardi Gras every year. Mayor's ball was Friday night, big Mardi Gras parade and all day into the night party on Saturday and a Fat Tuesday celebration. Thousands of people attend the yearly event. I've heard it's second to the New Orleans party. 

Respected Contributor

I will be celebrating Fat Tuesday by buying and eating a paczki. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, but not til the weekend. 

Since my MIL went into assisted living back in November, it has fallen to me to make the doughnuts for Doughnut Day. I work full time, so I will be making and frying the doughnuts this coming Saturday. I'll be using her recipes for the Portuguese doughnuts that she has always made. And I'll also be making her beignets.

I'm not particularly fond of deep-fat frying anything. All that hot oil in the pan. It scares me a little bit, to be honest. But homemade doughnuts are a tradition is this family and it's time for me to step up the plate (or the doughnut-cutter, as the case may be). My MIL gave me her fryer and her doughnut cutters. And her recipes. 

You'll know what I'll be doing this-coming weekend. I only hope they turn out as well as hers always did!

Honored Contributor

"FAT"   Tuesday.................that's a good one!    I'm gonna gorge myself on Tuesdays from now on!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I grew up with heavy Polish and German influence and we called the day Shrove Tuesday and we kids called it Doughnut Day. The ladies at the Polish church would make paczki (Polish doughnuts) and the ladies at the German church would make fausnaughts( German Doughnuts). I remember they were so good, but a little greasy.