Trusted Contributor

I started a thread on hamburgers earlier, as I went to Applebee's earlier today, and they asked me if I wanted my burger pink or no pink. It was clearly on their menu, and I did not see the usual menu warning of consuming of undercooked meat was hazardous to your health. I started a thread, but was not really getting answers, only comments. So, I looked up the USDA fact sheet on ground beef. I found that beef fat may be added to hamburger, and ground beef--and it is supposed to be labeled as hamburger meat or ground beef!!! HELLO!!!!!!! The maximum fat that can be added is 30%, to both, and no water, phosphates, or binders. Seasonings may be added to both. States sets the standards, but they can be no less than federal standards. Only state standards apply. CAN WE SAY HELLO TACO BELL AND THEIR LEGAL EFFORTS???? I am not bashing, only trying to get informed myself and what federal standards are{#emotions_dlg.crying} I personally do not eat fast food period, as I live in a small town with not even a stop light. But I grew up outside of Atlanta, GA, and have dined at holes in the wall, and high end places. I just suddenly found this very odd, and decided to look into it myself, and ask for help from here. I just have to really question if states are following federal guidlines.

I am not necessarily going to change my eating habits, just found this all very interesting, as I do buy a lot of "ground beef" at the grocery store at times, as it is convinent.{#emotions_dlg.glare}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......