Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else feel that their grocery list is getting more expensive?

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Oh, absolutey!  I lament this every week when we go.  I spend more and more and get less and less.  I do try and watch for things on sale and buy generic as much as possible.  We are not exravagant in our purchaces but we do have a few treats that we like.  I don't know really how large families manage at all.  Everything is terribly expensive.  Even the basics --- milk, eggs, butter, bread.  And I do feel that trying to eat healthy is more expensive.  Buying fresh fruit and vegetables and items which are lower in fat, etc.  I get ill just thinking about how much we spend a month at the grocery stores!!!  Woman Frustrated

Too bad we have to eat.

Honored Contributor

Groceries here have been going up steadily for the past couple of years; the prices are going up and the pkgs contain less....a "pound" of bacon is now 12oz. Same for coffee. 

Honored Contributor

Grocery prices have been going up for years now, and the size of many things has gone down. 

It has always been expensive to eat healthy, and becomes more so all the time. 

I find meat prices to be the worst offenders here. We can get dairy and produce at good prices much of the time, but meat is always so high.

Esteemed Contributor

My menu for the week depends on what is on sale...not what we are in the mood to eat.

I am making more and more from scratch....saving a little money there

Valued Contributor

Grocery prices don't bother me yet, because I shop for almost all of it at Aldi.

Boatloads of produce at very little cost.  My 12 grain bread is only 1.79, etc.

The eggs that Aldi sells are the only ones I will buy, because they actually taste better! 

For those who look for organic foods, Aldi has a great selection and good prices.

If I have to go to another grocery store for something not available at Aldi, I just about faint at the prices of things.  Walmart has higher prices as well.

Valued Contributor

Groceries for 2 of us noticeably going up. Try to shop the sales. I am specifically aggravated at the increased cost of toilet paper- and Scotts must have changed their old formula I can't abide it anymore. I used to gripe about women bearing the rising cost of tampons now that I'm in menopause I gripe about using more TP. LOL
Contributor

I know what you mean. My husband and I are the same way. We buy grass fed beef , imported butter and organic produce. I figure with meat prices being what they are it doesn't make sense to not buy the better quality.
Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Yes to the point that I think I should start a garden and become vegetarian.

My son was a vegetarian and now vegan...grocery bill is not cheaper, but higher actually.

Honored Contributor

My dh and I just finished our first year of retirement. Its just the two of us so our grocery bills aren't bad. But I notice we tend to splurge on luxuries more often. For example buying beef tenterloin to have on the grill. It was worth every penny but pretty darn expensive nonetheless. Woman Happy Man Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal...Oh yes....I agree.  I track all expenses and have noticed this year that my grocery bill is higher.  I only cook for my husband and me, and the menu is usually the same.  I don't over buy as I go to the grocery every 10 days or so and at this point in our life I know what we will and won't eat.  I also rarely throw food away so if it is left over we eat it.

I cannot imagine trying to feed a family today.