Honored Contributor

Re: Do you leave your dining table set when you're not hosting?

Well, one time this past year, an inlaw gave me 2 pretty dessert plates, so I put them out with some placemats just because I liked to look at them and they were so cheery and who doesn't need that?!

Not to say I actually ate at the table lol!

Then when my grandkids came they enjoyed eating there.

But yes totally impractical because I had to rinse off the dishes before they ate from them.

Now I love looking at the table and it's wood by itself. It's fairly new and I'm happy to have an actual dining room table! I always keep a pottery vase on it that I love.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

No, I don't set the table when I'm not having company. I do keep the table and chairs well-polished, as well as the sideboard. I have a white eyelet runner on the table and candle sticks at either end. It looks cared for and pretty, but not set for eating. 

I do the same thing with my dining table.

Honored Contributor

I converted my dining room into a "den" years ago.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I enjoyed Alberti and Tara on the Temptations show this afternoon, but something they said got me thinking. They suggested leaving your dining room table set at all times to make your home more welcoming.  Well, I don't have a formal dining room, but even if I did I think that would be a no-go for me.  

Does anyone really do that?

@house_cat 
I have done a lot of entertaining in my married life and would never even consider doing that.  When company leaves, the dishes that can, go in the dishwasher, some I do by hand.  Same with stemware and flatware and goes back in my China closet and flatware drawer.  Table cloth and napkins get laundered, folded and put away.  This suggestion ranks right up there with the "stock up" on gifts and store in your "gift closet", buy multiples, etc.  I don't consider any of them "experts" on anything.  So ridiculous, these people.  
Super Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

"For our first course this evening we will be enjoying a cinnamon squash soup with sour cream and dust".

@781Florist 

LOLOLOLOL

Honored Contributor

I can't because of my cats 🐈🐈.  They are so sneaky!

Respected Contributor

It kind of seems like the opposite of welcoming to me, it seems stuffy!  My grandkids come over after school and its where we spread out and do homework....I want them to feel welcome not occasional guests I want to impress. 

Trusted Contributor

I keep the dining room table decorated according to the season. I don't think it's practical to have it all set for dinner unless you have something planned. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you leavhe centerpiecee your dining table set when you're not hosting?

[ Edited ]

I have placemats and chargers on the table with a talavera fruit bowl as the centerpiece. For Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving I use seasonal centerpieces.

I do not have a kitchen table so we eat in the dining area at all meals, which is why I keep the chargers on the table to protect the wood.

Honored Contributor

I don't, but I know people who do at holiday times. I love going in their homes and seeing the beautiful tables. One friend told me she only uses her holiday china once a year so she wants to be able to see it.

I inherited my grandmother's beautiful china punch bowl set from England. It's too pretty not to be seen. So for years I put it in the center of our dining room table. One year DH was replanting something and used the bowl. It took me a long time and a lot of steps to get it clean, but I got it looking like new.

It now lives on the bottom shelf of our china cupboard. I can look at it there!   Smiley Happy