Honored Contributor

The summer is when I have the most free time for baking.  DH says I shouldn't be lighting the oven when our a/c is struggling to keep the house cool, and I understand that, but I still want to bake.

Do you bake in hot weather?  What kinds of things do you bake in the hot-weather months?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you bake in hot weather?

Yes I do. I bake all the usual things I normally would. Bread, rolls, cakes ect. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I try to avoid turning my oven on for anything in the summer. Where I live, even the evenings are very warm and it never really cools down. I'll open the door at 10pm and it will still be 80 dregrees and very humid outside.

Honored Contributor

I only bake in the suumer when overnight/early morning temps are 70 or below, and then not if I don't have to.

We have no air, and heating up the house, even very early in the morning (I will bake at 5 am or before) can heat the house enough that it never does loose the heat.

One thing I do, before the summer gets too hot, is to marathon bake and freeze a lot of things, for hotter weather. 

Honored Contributor

I bake just the same as during the colder months. Have never noticed any difference in the electric bills in months when I have baked a lot and in months when I did not. Enjoy your baking HC.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I bake things like zucchini bread ...cobbler in the summer. I bought one of those countertop small ovens that bake...broil  and  have a rottesserie. Best thing I ever bought. Does NOT heat up the kitchen and saves on the electric bill...

Respected Contributor

Luckily, I have an oven in my garage, which is attached to my kitchen, for when the San Gabriel Valley heat gets too much.....
Respected Contributor

I do! Made Monster Cookies just yesterday for our July 4th party!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Pretty much no.  I do have a countertop convection oven and I'll use that freely without having to deal with heating up the whole kitchen.   But any big baking job I probably wouldn't as I am unable to endure much heat anymore.

I can't even drink a hot or warm beverage during warm weather, but that was always - even before I had my current condition that makes me literally get sick with the heat.

Honored Contributor

I don't like the oven on if I have to have the a/c on. We've done it, but I don't want the a/c working that hard.