Honored Contributor

Do you and DH agree on grocery brands?

In the last ten years, DH has started to cook more in the kitchen.  We started grilling out because of health advantages, and often he's want a certain item with the main course so he'd start it on the range. When I started closing while working retail after teaching, he went to the store.

Personally, I have no issue with some store brands like frozen vegetables, because I don't want high calorie sauces; or pickles.  I find in every other catagory store brands (here) are not as good as a well known brand.

Do the two of you agree?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you and DH agree on grocery brands?

Funny that you mention this. DH does our grocery shopping. There are some things to me where a substitute is not allowed. Heinz Ketchup, real Clorox, Publix sweet relish are the ones I can think of now. He knows and that's what counts.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG...what is DH?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife, DH = dear husband

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Funny that you mention this. DH does our grocery shopping. There are some things to me where a substitute is not allowed. Heinz Ketchup, real Clorox, Publix sweet relish are the ones I can think of now. He knows and that's what counts.

Oh Girl!!!!!  Don't mess with my Heinz catsup (never could deal with pineapple juice in catsup), or mayo!!!!!

Anyone who likes other brands, this wasn't a "crack" on you at all!

Honored Contributor

I guess I was lucky because my late husband pretty much at whatever I put in front of him.

I was an OK cook (I don't cook at all now, just eat out).

My girls grew up thinking I was a good cook (like most children).  Then they went out on their own....ha!

My youngest daughter eats weird things.  She travels a lot so she's up for experimental food.  It would upset my stomach.

I've always realized I didn't have a picky eater husband.  I knew exactly what he liked.  We got married when we had just turned 19 so we grew up together.

Honored Contributor

We don't disagree on brands. I do the vast majority of the shopping anyway but I do buy the brands he prefers of his certain items and I buy what I want for everything else. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

My hubby hates grocery shopping as much as he hates spending money. I gave him a list when I was working 2nd shift. The list had the item, brand, size and price. That was a disaster. He went to the local Kroger and bought all generics.  They have the worst generics!

I enjoy buying food. I know which stores have the best quality generics, the best meats, the bes seafood, etc. On the other hand, I'm not a cost efficient food shopper.

I prefer quality over price.  He prefers price over quality.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I prefer certain brands, DH doesn't care, as long as it is CHEAP!  We both have shopped alone, with kids, each other.  I usually put what I want in the kitchen.  I have not found any GOOD dill pickles, generic or brand name, in 10 years.  He loves the cowbell brand ice cream,I like Blue Bunny. That is the way it has been since we started shopping at age 17yrs and 20yrs.  But when I cook, it all has the taste of the wonderful charcol I create.                   ted

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown You reminded me of something.  My husband NEVER went to the grocery store.  When we were first married he worked 2 jobs and went to college.

One of the jobs was a night time manager at a big chain grocery store!  He didn't want to be a manager, but he was very good at his job.  

Anyway, I remember one time getting in his line (due to high volume and not enough employees, he'd been the checker) and a woman in front of me had on a see through blouse.  There was a time when some people actually wore them without bras!  Yepper!

I couldn't wait to see what he did.  He never looked up, too her money and I was next.  We always said I thought he'd spotted me in line and was acting accordingly.  Ha!

Anyway, maybe once a year he'd come into the store with me.  You'd have thought that man was in Disneyland!  He acted so weird.  He just stood at the fish counter looking and looking.  He was always after me about buying so much junk food but when he went he'd be throwing every cookie and junk into the cart.  I'd go along and put it back on the shelf (we didn't eat it).

Then he'd be sitting at night (loved, loved his milk and cookies) and say, "Where is that (name some weird cookie) I bought".  I'd say, "Hummm...must have mixed up the carts".  He just shrugged.