Valued Contributor

Do any of you still use your Ron Popeil Showtime Rotisserie?

I puchased my rotisserie from QVC many years ago.   I paid a little over $ 100 with tax and shipping.  I expected that I would use it but I had no idea how many delicious meals we would enjoy from that one appliance. I used it yesterday to prepare the buffalo wings.

There's no telling how many delicious chickens I have prepared over the years.  I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of that little gem.  I usually put a spice on the chicken that I get at Sam's. Better than any rotisserie chicken you can buy and so easy---you prepare the bird and then set it and forget it.  LOL  Ron was right !!  Every time I use his invention, I wonder how many millions of dollars he made.  He sure made my life easier.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do any of you still use your Ron Popeil Showtime Rotisserie?

I actually bought this when it was on an infomercial a long time ago. We used it quite often and then when QVC started selling it we decided to upgrade our old one. It makes amazing rotisserie turkey and chicken! Haven't really experimented with anything else, but now that you mention it I'll try some wings in it!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Malcolm Gladwell did an interview with RP and he was talking about the experience which was very interesting.  RP's father was also an inventor. 

Honored Contributor

This is my favorite way to roast a turkey breast. I have had the digital version for over 12 years

and it is my favorite kitchen  " gadget " .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Aldi had them for $50 last week . . . I am so sorry now that I didn't go grab one as I would love to make a turkey breast in it . . . Smiley Sad

Occasional Contributor

the first and only time I used it caught fire and i got burned (still have the picture)called Ron Popiel and they were kind of nasty

Respected Contributor

I loved mine and used it all the time....Used to cook ducks in it..( besides the "normal" stuff)

When I bought his house, I put it on a high shelf in the garage..

I need to get it out...and use it!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Oh yes - at least once a week.

We got ours - and it's a large one - when a department store put them out for $99 as part of the mall's "sidewalk sale." That was at least 10 years ago.

We cook chicken, ribs (in the cage), and tri-tip, among other items. So easy to just set it and forget it. :-)

Honored Contributor

We still use ours all the time.I make Thanksgiving turkey breast on it, roast our Christmas prime rib on it  and frequently use it for ham.I use the basket to make roasted veggies too ,delicious,esp.potatoes. We have made pork tenderloin on it too but used the basket not the things you poke the meat with. I would be very disappointed if it broke down.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell did an interview with RP and he was talking about the experience which was very interesting.  RP's father was also an inventor. 

@Snoopp, I think Gladwell has a certain fascination with Ron Popeil. -- He and Brian Glazier (Ron Howard's movie production partner) recently did an hour-long interview in conjunction the 92nd Street Y and RP featured in it. 

Gladwell mentioned that RP's father invented the pocket fisherman. If I remember correctly, RP was adopted at an early age and was trying to reconnect back with his father later in life. It seemed that some of his biological father's "inventor" genes were passed on to Ron. 

Unfortunately, I was multi-tasking during the interview, so I only caught the general gist of it.

-- bebe Smiley Happy