Honored Contributor

Do You And DH Clean Equally As Well?

I'm very fortunate.  We always halfed tasks around the home.  I told him when we were dating I wasn't going to work and do all the work at home.

I did take the more "sensitive" things like dusting things that are important to us.

The kitchen is always a challenge.  I cook or he grills, and I do the kitchen prep items.  On his kitchen nights though, I wonder what he sees!  (He has his own computer company and his vison is excellent!).  Without going through behind the faucets, little things left in the sink, what I correct is better than having to do the whole thing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You And DH Clean Equally As Well?

Ummmmmm............my husband didn't do "women's work".    OK.....in his defense, he WAS a lot older........................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

We both still work fulltime, so we share the cleaning tasks. He's not above using the vacuum cleaner. He will dust. He uses the steam cleaner on the kitchen and bathroom floors. He does most of the weekly dumping/scouring of the six litter boxes in the house, but I scoop the boxes twice a day.

I will also vacuum and dust. I usually wipe down the kitchen and bathroom counters. I clean out the fridge.

We pretty much split the laundry chores.

I usually hop on the lawn tractor to mow our yard while he push-mows. 

We both work in our gardens.

I may do most of the cooking throughout the week, but he takes his turn at the grill on the weekends. And after dinner, he's right there in the kitchen to help me clean up, wash/dry dishes, etc. 

So I'd say the work is done between the two of us. One does not clean any better than the other, IMO. I certainly don't feel that I have to go behind him and redo his work.

We got married when I was 16 and he had just turned 20. We've been married 45 years now. But it took me a while to make him realize that housework is not just for women. When he lived at home, he didn't do much of anything (nor did his father) and that was fine with his mother. When I lived at home, my father pitched right in and helped my mother with everything....at least until we three kids became old enough to help.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish.......

I am "Felix Unger" amd he is" Oscar Madison"........LOL

Honored Contributor

He has taken over all things laundry, linens and bedmaking. Probably once a month, he takes the bedspread to the laundromat because it's too big for our machine.  Most times it doesn't look soiled to me, but he thinks it is, so why would I argue with that?  He actually asks me to NOT make the bed, because according to him, I don't do it correctly.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

DH has worked out of town most of his working life.  Right after he retired I broke my ankle.  He was a real trooper, cooking, dishwasher, minor cleaning, all at my instruction, since he knew little.  Since my ankle has healed I'm back full time.  I ask him what he does around here and he says I mow the lawn.  Somehow this isn't what I dreamed of for retirement.  He doesn't believe in cleaning services either.  Phooey. 

Honored Contributor

When I was working yes DH helped with the chores. I was not going to work full time & do chores when not working while he did what he wanted. 

We hardly ever eat out. I do most of the cooking & he cooks on the grill. I quit cooking on the grill a few years ago. I figured he could do it. I make him clean the kitchen after dinner & he complains all the way. I told him I was not prepping & cooking dinner & also have to clean the mess when I got finished. The way I look at it if he wants to eat he can clean up the mess. I don't need a big dinner like he wants so cleaning up after myself would be a lot easier. I clean as I prep & cook. DH does not do that when he's cooking & the kitchen is a disaster when he's in there. I still have to come in behind him when he's finished cleaning to finish it up. LOL!!! 

Other then helping out in the kitchen I do all the house cleaning now since I'm not working. I quit doing yard work & let him take care of it. I don't want to be outside when it's hot.

When DH retires he will be helping more inside. I'm not doing it all while he does what he wants to do.

I find in a marriage if you don't help out each other nobody has the time to do much of anything. Your marriage will last if you work with each other.

Respected Contributor

No, we don't share house responsibilities.  Since I have been a SAHM, I maintain the house, schedule lawn work, and anything else that needs attention.  My attitude in all of this is that DH travels for his work, and when he comes home I want to him to relax and enjoy life as much as he can with me. He is more than willing to do anything I ask him to do, but I try to keep it at a minimum.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another Oscar and Felix here. Of course I'm Felix, lol!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

My MIL taught her sons to do housework, and expected as much help from them, as she expected from her daughter.   My husband has always helped with the housework, but with his health issues, he now picks and chooses, what he feels like doing.  Some days he wants to vacuum and wash dishes, other days he wants to dust and carry out the trash.   Once he makes his choice, then I decide what I'm going to do, and we get it done.   I do most of the deep cleaning on the mornings he is off to have coffee with the guys; I do not clean when he is in his recliner watching TV.