Regular Contributor

Dianne's Southwestern Cornbread Salad - myrecipes.com

I want to make this Southwestern cornbread salad.  It calls for a package of Mexican cornbread mix, which I have not seen.  Do any of you know about this?  My grocery stores only sell the regular Jiffy mix . . . any suggestions?  We do have a Mexican store in town, maybe they would have something??  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dianne's Southwestern Cornbread Salad - myrecipes.com

I have never seen Mexican cornbread mix but I wonder if you added a small can of green chilies you would get the same effect?

A friend of mine brought over cornbread with the green chilies mixed in and everyone loved it!

Honored Contributor

Maybe add 1 t of chili powder and 1 t of sugar to the dry ingredients of a Jiffy mix and then just follow the directions.....

Respected Contributor

There is a recipe on Allrecipes for Absolute Mexican Corn Bread.  It averages 4.5 ☆ with over 900 reviews.  The additions that make it "Mexican" seem to be cream style corn, Monterey Jack Cheese and green chilies. 

It may be more work, but why not make this cornbread first, then proceed with the salad?   BTW. thanks for creating this post -- you've got me interested in trying it, too.  Woman Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

In my local grocery, the Mexicorn cornbread mix is in bags, and is near the muffin mixes. The Jiffy mixes are not located in that particular section---go figure.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes you can locate a mix in the Mexican foods sections of a supermarket. A typical supermarket may or may not have it located with the other "Jiffy" or "Krusteaz" varieties of mixes. But then there will be some other brand or a Mexican variety of a popular brand, even, located in the aisle of green chiles, posole (hominy) and other "officially-designated Mexican" items.

For instance, many times, you can't find a good sardine in the canned tuna, canned "fishes" aisle. They might have a couple of brands. But then in the "Mexican" section, they'll have tins of the larger, more old-fashioned variety which are sometimes twice as good and half the price (oddly enough).

But Mexican cornbread is really simple to whip up if you can't find a mix. In fact, not using such a mix would probably be the healthier way to go anyway. You never can control added seasonings in the box.

So I'd just buy regular corn muffin mix. Usually if I do, I prefer Krusteaz over Jiffy (although Jiffy is far cheaper and nearly as good for most things).

But it you're going for Mexican cornbread, you want the sweeter mix which is usually the Jiffy brand one.

You're adding creamed corn for not only the corn but also for its sweetness. So you need to add the green chiles in order to give authentic or meaningful flavor but also to balance out that sweetness.

I recommend getting a jar of medium or hot green chiles. Usually found where salsas, canned refried beans, etc are in the supermarket. You can, of course, go as mild as you like, but with these sorts of recipes - where they're a balance of sweet and hot -  you need some punch. Otherwise, it will start to taste like a dessert cake. Using the jar green chiles you can spoon in as much as you think the recipe can handle.

Green chiles, by the way, are exceptionally nutritious and full of vitamins.

And the cheese typically can be a mild yellow cheese of any sort or Monterey Jack. The addition of the cheese, too, will mellow out the green chiles.

Depending upon the actual full recipe that you're making, the cheese might not even be all that important. You don't want to add too much as to turn the bread into a cheesestick. lol

It all reads more complicated than it is. The only real trick is finding the right flavor balance for yourself. Some like it sweeter, others like it hotter. You could buy creamed corn and drain as much cream or syrup out of it - add the rest and then only add a bit more of the 'juice' if you don't want it as sweet or to reduce a BIT of the recipe's sugar content.

And green chiles are not necessarily "hot" or caliente. They can be quite mild. If you want mild, though, be sure to add plenty of them so they don't get lost in the recipe. Then I would recommend buying the canned green chiles whole, then chop them up.

Not knowing the rest of your recipe, you may want the cornbread part to be milder and sweeter (if then you're adding a spicy topping). Or if the rest of the recipe for this salade is mild, then you may want to consider making the cornbread a bit more flavorful (green chiles).

And you can also always doctor everything however you like. Add a dash of chili powder or a touch of a powdered/dry red chiles (usually found hanging on a wall somewhere in the Produce section for some reason in most supermarkets). Try to buy a package of "Chimayo" dry red chile. They're a chile local to the No. NM/Santa Fe-area. Its actually a town which has some great weavers in it (by the by).

Always keep some dry packages red CHILES (not chili) and another of dry green chiles on hand, Add some to everything. You'll find a more authentic, richer flavor added to so many recipes - a flavor that CHILI powder doesn't have or can't replicate.

That's all based on everything being pre-packaged or store-bought, of course.

Regular Contributor

Wow, thank you ladies .. . and especially surfk for your exhaustive reply!  It's great to come to this forum and get suggestions/answers to questions from other ladies.

Valued Contributor

@CountryMusicGal wrote:

Wow, thank you ladies .. . and especially surfk for your exhaustive reply!  It's great to come to this forum and get suggestions/answers to questions from other ladies.

Oh. I can beat even a corn muffin to death. lol

Honored Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@CountryMusicGal wrote:

I don't know where you came from but I sure am glad you are here . . . thanks for the laugh out loud!

Beat a corn muffin to death . . . classic!

Valued Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@surfk wrote:

@CountryMusicGal wrote:

I don't know where you came from but I sure am glad you are here . . . thanks for the laugh out loud!

Beat a corn muffin to death . . . classic!

Rest assurded. I am from your planet. lol