Esteemed Contributor

Crunchy casserole topping instead of nuts ideas?

I usually make a Sweet Potato casserole that has a topping that includes crushed Pecans. My graddaughter is allergic to tree nuts, so pecans are definetly out. 

Any suggestions of what I can use instead of pecans for that crunchy toppping?

Honored Contributor

Re: Crunchy casserole topping instead of nuts ideas?

[ Edited ]

crushed ritz crackers or traditional corn flakes ...... either of them mixed with a little bit of butter and paprika makes a nice topping for casseroles.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I make a sweet potato topping out of crushed corn flakes, brown sugar and butter.  It's delicious!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My new favorite, and hubby's too, is panko crumbs, mixed with melted butter and cheese if desired. I've used both parmesan and cheddar, depending on the dish.  I'm posting a pic of last week's chicken/noodle casserole so you can see how it looks after it's baked. IMG_7061.JPG

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I always use the French's french fried onions in place of nuts or when I want some extra crunch to something.

Respected Contributor

Grape Nuts

Honored Contributor

I am going to use granola, I don't know if the brand I have has nuts in it or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

My new favorite, and hubby's too, is panko crumbs, mixed with melted butter and cheese if desired. I've used both parmesan and cheddar, depending on the dish.  I'm posting a pic of last week's chicken/noodle casserole so you can see how it looks after it's baked. IMG_7061.JPG

@house_cat

My new favorite as well!  The crunch is great and additions can be made for the topping to go sweet or savory.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma

The only things I've used that might not have been mentioned here already are crushed saltine crackers and crushed potato chips.  Panko crumbs are my favorite, however, and  I use them on top of many different casserole dishes and baked fish.

On casseroles, they're usually just mixed with butter and some seasonings, maybe.  On fish, they are great moistened with  a little mayonnaise and dijon mustard,  or in a mix of maple syrup and melted butter.

Respected Contributor

Just thought of another one that I use quite often ------crushed Pepperidge Farm herb-seasoned stuffing crumbs, mixed with a little melted butter..