Respected Contributor

Re: Could Splenda be upsetting my tummy?

Very likely Splenda does not metabolize (break down) which is why it's non-caloric. If you want something that tastes pretty good, try Stevia in the Raw.

I don't like regular stevia but this one tastes really good. I had a friend who made an apple pie and sweetened it with this rather than sugar. It was fantastic (she put on a single crust, filled with apples and cinnamon and the stevia.) We had it for Thanksgiving and it was better than regular pie.

Not bad in coffee.

Honored Contributor

YES! YES! YES! I just discovered last night. I have been using a liquid water enhancer for several months. And have had no troubles until the past few weeks. Then I noticed tummy troubles. And out of my way - I have to go. I thought it was something I ate, of course. And through process of elimination I figured out last night it was the Splenda.

Not sure why I didn't have any trouble before I bought several cases of the water enhancer.

Occasional Contributor

I have problems with Splenda also……discovered this years ago. I also can not tolerate any of the 'tols….malitol, sorbitol, xylitol. Totally exaggerates my IBS symptom. Aspartame and stevia do not although I try to keep aspartame to a minimum.

Honored Contributor

I eliminated all artificial sweeteners. It took a long time.

They are probably one of the worst things you can put in your body, IMO. I didn't realize how addicted I was until I weaned myself off of them. Our bodies were just not meant to metabolize artificial sweeteners.

Honored Contributor

On 6/11/2014 brii said:

They are probably one of the worst things you can put in your body, IMO. I didn't realize how addicted I was until I weaned myself off of them. Our bodies were just not meant to metabolize artificial sweeteners.

I agree - and I was a former Diet Coke addict.

Now if I have one can a week, even that sets my tummy off and running!

I agree with Mika on Morning Joe - it's poison.

Honored Contributor

On 6/11/2014 terrier3 said:
On 6/11/2014 brii said:

I agree - and I was a former Diet Coke addict.

Now if I have one can a week, even that sets my tummy off and running!

I agree with Mika on Morning Joe - it's poison.

I used to drink Diet Coke too - just a few here and there, not every day.

Now when I want something carbonated I drink La Croix or San Pellegrino with a lemon wedge.

Eliminating the caffeine and artificial sweeteners helped my sleep and menstrual symptom issues too.

But it was really hard to give up...

Super Contributor

I think I have become allergic to sweeteners. I have noticed lately that if I make a smoothie and put in a packet of Splenda, I can taste it right away and it makes me stomach sick and gives me a headache. Even if I use one of those diet flavored drink packets that you add to a water bottle, the same thing happens to me so I don't use any sweeteners at all anymore, just a small amount of sugar and only in my tea. Occasionally when I drink diet Pepsi or diet Coke, it doesn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

Splenda never caused any problems for me but I have not used it in over a decade. I gradually stopped using it when I discovered stevia.

you can find out by doing a simple elimination test. Stop using it and see how you feel then add it back in after a while.

Valued Contributor

Ladies-Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

So, this morning I fished out what was left of my Stevia bottle in the back of my cabinet. Have no idea why I stopped using it. Now it's all coming back to me. I think one day I just grabbed a packet of Splenda and then got back into using it. The brand of Stevia I have is called NuNaturals. Someone on these boards recommended it a long time ago on another thread and I bought it. I am toying with the amounts this morning. Had to throw out one cup of coffee b/c I over sweetened. I forget that with Stevia it only takes a tiny bit--a little bit of one dropperful--to sweeten my coffee to my liking.

So the moral to this story is, I have Stevia in my cabinet and I'm going to start using it again. Was it Nana above that mentioned the other brand of Stevia? I will check it out.

Thank you, thank you!

Trusted Contributor

If you have questions or concerns, speaking to a physician or registered dietician would be a better option. There are many "experts" on these boards who are clearly misinformed and have very little knowledge of biochemistry or nutrition (despite what they may think).

There is a reason medical professionals spend years studying and training. The knowledge the experience they possess cannot be replicated by spending a few minutes using Google and visiting junk science websites.