Frequent Contributor

Cooks Essential Air Fryer - Defective?

This is our first air fryer and we had maybe too high hopes for it or maybe it's indeed defective. It takes no less than 45 minutes all the way up to 2 hours to fry some potatoes or sweet potatoes. Our electricity bill will skyrocket this way.... Is it defective? I'm afraid to exchange it and the next unit will be the same. 

What's your experience with it? Does it cook as fast as they showed on tv? Does it dry everything to almost non-edible state, or if you airfry it less, is it raw?

I might not order any air fryers ever again.

Thanks for any input on this issue.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooks Essential Air Fryer - Defective?

Are you talking french fries or whole potatoes?  I'll guess the later.  They don't cook quick.  It shouldn't take two hours either.  Is the temp turned up to 400.  I would try something quicker to evaluate if it's working and you like the results.  Cook some regular frozen fries.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just regular french fries. We don't eat the frozen ones, not too healthy. We cook almost everything in our home. If that's what it takes to use the air fryer: switching on that kind of food, then it is not a device for us. Will return it right away and never order another one.

Too bad the tv show is so deceiving: showing how they cook/fry steaks, macaroni-cheese, pies, etc in a matter of minutes and all was looking so juicy and inviting! So deceiving! Practically lying to the consumers. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

How to roast potatoes in a Air Fryer

http://www.hotairfrying.com/roast-potatoes-in-basket-type-air-fryer/

The foods you cook in your Air Fryer have to be a uniform size. You can not cook whole potatoes. There are may recipes on YouTube.

Respected Contributor

It does sound defective. You can cook non-processed food in it as well, so return it for a new one and try it then.
Frequent Contributor

We followed the recipe in the book it came with it. I suppose they didn't print a wrong recipe. I might try sending it back for a replacement. Hooefully QVC will not charge me a shipping fee for the returning one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sfrangu wrote:

We followed the recipe in the book it came with it. I suppose they didn't print a wrong recipe. I might try sending it back for a replacement. Hooefully QVC will not charge me a shipping fee for the returning one. 

You should call the CS, and talk about your defective item. You could post a new message in the Customer Care thread.

Frequent Contributor

I actually called to ask about some technical details and they said to just return it marking the "defective" readon on the packing slip. They had no idea about any details regarding how it works. Neither did the Cs from Cook's Essentials. Disappointing.

Thanks much for the help!!

Respected Contributor

You are turning up the temperature, right?  If you did, it is defective.  Call them and tell them it was defective.  They won't charge you shipping to return it.  Be sure to watch to make sure they don't charge you.  If they do, call them.  Mistakes do happen.

Frequent Contributor

We really followed their recipe, step by step. Idk what else to do besides their directions.

Mima, is this your real name? 'Cause it's mine! Same spelling, my first name! What a small world!!!