Regular Contributor

Cook's Essentials lifetime warranty--not a totally true statement

I purchased a Cook's Essentials roaster pan more than 10 years ago. The nonstick is really coming off the bottom, it's not scratched. I called QVC and they informed me that there is nothing they can do because the pan isn't made anymore. They often talk of this lifetime warranty, but this cannot possibly be true if they discontinue the item. Sounds like an easy way to get out of a lifetime warranty. I'm quite sure my entire cook set would fall under this, as I bought it shortly after CE was introduced. Can't have a lifetime warranty if they quit making the stuff. I think this is really false advertising. Has anyone else run into this? This is really disappointing that they did this.

Re: Cook's Essentials lifetime warranty--not a totally true statement

Well over the past years, I have purchased both T-Fal and Cooks Essentials sets from QVC, and the reason I bought them was due to the lifetime warranty they kept pushing. The non-stick surface was ok to be used with metal utensils, but over the years the non-stick surface has begun chipping off. I would imaging very dangerous to ingest this stuff with your food. I sent an email to QVC and am waiting for a reply, but I guarantee you they won't do a **bleep** thing about it. I found that these hosts that sell these items, lie through their teeth to sell these products, and when something happens after the 30 day return policy, you're on your own. 

Honored Contributor

I've had one item replaced and it was no problem at all.  I used the pot (a lot!) for years and suddenly I noticed that some of the nonstick was peeling away from the area of one of the rivets. 

I called and they gave me all the info I needed to send it back.  In less than a week I got a call from somebody in the 'warranty replacement' department who said that they didn't still have that exact pot but gave me TWO choices of which one I'd like.  Both were an upgrade.

I never used metal utensils in  nonstick just because I know better, but I wish they would stop pushing that.  They cause their own problems by not promoting the correct ways to use and maintain nonstick by trying to hard sometimes to just sell as many units as possible.

Respected Contributor

I find Sears does the same thing with Craftsman products.  Call them again and ask if they have an alternative replacement.

Trusted Contributor

I have also returned Cook's Essential pans to QVC with no problem, if you remember in the beginning you did not have to send the ruined pan back, now you do, so you have to pack it up, pay the postage back and hope they replace it. I think that discourages a lot of people from taking advantage of a warranty they promised you when you purchased the set.It is a hassle and one I think created to get people to stop using their warranties.   LIfetime warranty should be what it says, it you buy the pans with that understanding than they should honor it and send you the newest and greatest in the line you purchased. I have also notice Bob Warden is no longer the spokes person for the line, he is now just an occasional vendor what a shame, I always enjoyed his knowledge of the products he sold, now I guess it is Meridith.  I like the hard anadoised line but without the colors inside and they don't seem to be making that anymore so I am looking at other brands that do.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine was given a credit to her account for a cookware item that Is no longer available, but had a lifetime warranty.
Honored Contributor

I purchased the original CE 18/10 ss set I think the 1st day it was offered on "In the kitchen with Bob" and that was many years ago. I just used a piece of it tonight it's still in great shape, but, over the years I have purchased the CE HA skillets less than 6 mo old and got a replacement of "upgraded" version. IMO if I get many years out of a product it's not worth the shipping fees to return -- nothing lasts forever yet it's nice to know the warranty is available. Now on the other hand, I bought a KA hand mixer died 16 months and they did nothing!
Valued Contributor

I have bought several sets of Cooks Essentials over the years for both myself and my son.  They wear out, but I put more than one together in a package attach invoice copies and send them back.  If they do not have the same items I too have been given alternate replacements and once an entire set for three pans.  You really haven't lost either way.  Most pans (unless you buy extremely high end) do not last forever.  My original Calphalon from 40 years ago is still going strong.  If they replac I keep the replacement invoice so I can return if there is another problem and  if a credit you got the cost of the pan back and can replace with something new. 

Esteemed Contributor

I ran into this with a Coach briefcase. 

The "lifetime warranty" referred to the lifetime of the briefcase, not my lifetime.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

One of my first QVC purchases was a T-Fal set from Bob Bowersox. I thought I would have that nonstick coating for decades, and I was so disappointed when it started to wear. Next I moved on to a couple of Cook's Essentials pieces from David Venable, but like @jackl I found that it didn't last as long as I'd hoped. Smiley Sad

Lifetime Warranty just doesn't mean what you'd expect. At Coach a handbag lifetime is about 2 years. It's frustrating, and in my opinion, they should disclose what "lifetime" means when they're promoting that warranty.