Respected Contributor

Coffee Machine Recommendations. Help.

Hi,

We currently have a Cusinart 12Cup Grind and Brew Thermal DGB-900BC 

image of Cuisinart® Grind & Brew Thermal™ 12-Cup Automatic Coffee Maker

Actually, I can't believe the same machine is still available. I think I got it in 2009 or 2010. It's available at BB&B for 199.00 less the 20% coupon. Better pricing than directly from Cuisinart.

It is time for a new machine. Of course, I want to get a Kuerig but my husband doesn't want one. He insists on whole beans that are ground before use, wants a thermas and the thought of the pods irritates him.

Believe it or not, there aren't too many choices with a grinder and thermas. I also like the timer so I can set the machine to make coffee in the morning.

I am thinking about getting the Kuerig 560 2.0 at Costco. There is a really good price of 124.99 with 48 pods and 4 carage pods. I have an old grinder, so I can buy  the refillable pods for the machine. I don't believe there is a timer on Kuerigs.

Do any of you recommend a specific machines? And yes, I know I can just get another Cusinart and get a small single K cup machine for myself but there is more than enough on the counters.

Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee Machine Recommendations. Help.

Where I work there are three Keurig machines. Everyone loves it because it allows them to have whatever kind of coffee they want and there are many boxes of pods to choose from. It has been years since we purchased those machines and they never break down; they work consistently.

I personally don't drink coffee; however, I did purchase the Keurig 2.0 for my home recently. I drink the teas, the hot chocolate, and the soups. Friends can have a variety of coffee I have here for their use.

What I particularly liked about the QVC Keurig I purchased the day it was a TSV is that it came with a carafe. This is handy when friends come over and you want more than one cup at a time brewing. Also it came with the ability to put freshly ground coffee in a dispenser. I have a bag of Starbucks coffee in case someone wants a special treat. The water container holds a large amount and it has a digital display. 

All positive experiences with the Keurig. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I would like a recommendation as well.  I had a similar Cuisinart like yours for over twelve years and finally the thermostat went and the coffee came out lukewarm so I purchased a Kurerig.  I don't like it at all.  I agree with your husband that you need whole beans ground for good coffee and the pods are annoying and expensive.  Who knows how long that coffee has been sitting in those pods.  The only plus with the Kuerig is the convenience.

Honored Contributor

I'd just buy a seperate grinder and use a French press to brew. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

We also have the Cuisinart "Grind & Brew - 12 cup" model and Love It!  Hope this coffeemaker continues to work for a long time, but it is showing wear.  Combine Columbia and Kona beans for our blend.  When staying at hotels that provide the "Kuerig coffeemakers," I really do not like Kuerig coffee.  And I do not want to deal with the pods, and I like A Lot Of Coffee in the morning so do not want to make (and wait) for each and every cup.   Always heat up the thermal carafe from water heated in the microwave first - it helps to keep the coffee hot for a longer time. Wish you the best in your search.  Let us know what you decide.   Thanks  

Super Contributor

I purchased a Keurig a few years ago. I am like your husband OP, in that I really love the taste of freshly ground bean coffee. I actually have a Flavia machine that comes with packets that brew from a vacuum pack each time you want a serving. Very nice replacement for the bean grinding.

Anyway, back to the Keurig. If there is anyone in the family who has a sensitive pallet, they will not like the Keurig. No matter what I brewed in it, from my own fresh ground beans to pre-packaged brands and flavors, that machine ruined  the taste of them all. Frankly, I think it brews horrible coffee. The temps, the brew time, or something are just wrong and the coffee reflects it. If I were you, I would not get that machine because your husband will be POd.

On a different note, did you not like your Cuisinart? It looks like a very nice machine. I bought a Breville coffee machine, but I cannot recommend that at all, despite my love for the brand. My old (10 years+) Krups made better coffee than the expensive Breville can even think of doing. Here is a linky for you of Good Housekeeping coffee maker reviews.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/coffee-maker-reviews/

Respected Contributor

I'm still on the fence about this.  My husband  takes a Venti Cup to work which is 20 ounces.  And then I like coffee although I heat the milk first and then pour the coffee in....similar to a latte. Also, if you drink black coffee, you may understand why someone prefers to have their coffee made with beans. I also prefer to set the machine up before I go to bed so it is ready in the morning. It is also another alarm clock. LOL!  The only problem I have is all the water utilized. We have to unplug and then replug and start the machine again for all the water to be used. After 6 years, it is time for a new machine and it is used every day.

image of Breville® Grind Control™ Coffee Makerimage of Cuisinart® Grind & Brew Thermal™ 12-Cup Automatic Coffee Maker

$299 (less 20%)  $240                                           $199 (less 20%) $160

Am thinking that extra $80 could be used towards the 2/12 Josie Maran TSV that I purchased on Friday.  Amazing, first time something really, completely sold out!

Trusted Contributor

Image result for percolator coffee potPercolators make the best coffee!

Esteemed Contributor

We have a Breville that grinds and perks.  It tastes way better than the Keurig we replaced. BBB and Williams Sonoma have it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to BB&B and purchased the Breville. We unpacked and cleaned it and now waiting for the first cup of coffee ala Starbucks Expresso Roast.

The Breville Grinder is not as loud as the Cuisinart but remember that I did not have  the latest version.

You can overfill the Breville water tank but if you are only going to make 8 cups, the Breville will only use 8 cups of water. Whereas, you can set the Cusinart to make 8 cups but if you pour in 10 cups of water (per my husband), it will use 10 cups of water.

Breville has no charcoal filter the Cusinart has a filter. It's about $9.99 for 2 filters and you are supposed to change these every 1-3 months. There are knockoffs on Amazon but god knows what you are getting and what you are filtering your water with. We stopped using the filter and only put filtered water in our Cusinart. This is not an issue with the Breville not having a filter.

The Breville is slightly taller than the Cuisinart... about a 1/4 of an inch and both fit under my countertop.  

My husband selected 7 out of 8 on the strength scale. The Grinder was set at 3 (which is what is recommended to begin with). My husband says, the coffee is great. He drinks it black. He is very particular when it comes to his coffee. The coffee comes out extremely hot and my husband feels that he could not handle anything hotter (except me of course!)

I like coffee with my milk. So I microwaved the milk and pour in coffee. Mind you, this is the same coffee that we used in the Cusinart this morning. It really is good and there is less of a bitter taste with this machine. However, remember, my Cusinart Grind and Brew is 6 years old. Coffee would taste better with a new Cusinart Grind and Brew as well.

The Breville carafe is more substantial than the Cusinart. The finish on the Breville is higher quality and you are paying for it. $80 plus tax in my case thanks to BB&B coupon.

Considering my husband was leaning towards getting the same Cusinart and I wanted to get the Breville, my husband seems to be happy.

At BB&B, I asked if I tried this Breville but didn't like it, could I return it and I was told "Yes". I asked is there a time limitation and was told "There is none".  

PS The drip stop on the Cuisinart grind basket is a pain for me as it sticks out. Heaven forbid if I put it down, it gets caught on the sink racks. On the Breville it is more secure and not an issue.

Hope this helps and thanks for your feedback.

BTW, I was able to sign in to the forum but I was asked for a new name and I wrote the same name I have always had.....it worked...but this forum is a bit bizarre at times.

Happy Valentines to all!