Respected Contributor

Cleaning granite and stainless steel

I have new granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.  I have been cleaining the granite with soapy water and the stainless with a microfiber but it needs more...any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning granite and stainless steel

I get my supplies at $ store. Clearly marked and the name brands are cheaper there. I got quartz countertops and SS appliances.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I get my supplies at $ store. Clearly marked and the name brands are cheaper there. I got quartz countertops and SS appliances.

Weiman cleaner and polish in spray can

Trusted Contributor

I also use Weiman granit cleaner and their SS cleaner

Trusted Contributor

Good luck with the SS- I hate mine & wish I'd never gotten it. In the beginning I cleaned it with water & a microfiber cloth. Then I tried furniture polish- which someone recommended. That actually worked great for a while. Now no matter what I use it is a streaky mess. I have bought several SS cleaners & they're all just awful. It streaks & no amount of elbow grease helps remove the streaks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes pretty much all SS cleaners will leave a streaky mess except the one I found at The Dollar Tree! The Home Store SS Cleaning Wipes. They are awesome! I use the granite spray cleaner that my installers left me after installation of my counters. I can get it at The Home Depot.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

My contractor taught me a cool trick for cleaning stainless.  He said to cut a piece of LEMON and rub it on the stainless.  I use a microfiber cloth after that but you can even use a paper towel.  It works beautifully on my frig.

Respected Contributor

I was told for my SS use a warm, wet microfiber cloth and wipe in the direction of the grain.  Immediately use a clean, dry microfiber cloth to wipe dry.  I clean it at the end of the day every day.  It looks like new. 

I have friends that have used different SS cleaners and that's what has ruined the finish.

I use a soapy cloth to clean granite and rinse well.

Honored Contributor

I think , too, there is 2 kinds of stainless refrigerators one is real , the other made to look like SS, but, isn't. That may be the one that is harder to maintain.

Honored Contributor

Granite--we've had ours about 15 years or more and we wipe it down with the dish rag, and about once every year and a half or two years we pull everything off, wipe it down, dry it and use a granite sealer.  Sometimes we've gone about 3 years or more and I didn't notice a huge difference without new sealer. 

I haven't stressed over it--it is dark granite however, so I don' know about the white.  SOME of that is more porous and WILL pick up water stains.  If I were getting white, I'd get quartz.  Otherwise, to me nothing beats granite!  BUT be sure your dealer will show you slabs and get the slab YOU pick out, with the pieces cut to show features you want in place.