Valued Contributor

Canning-Pressure Cooker or Old Fashioned Method?

I haven't canned in years and need some advice on putting up my tomatoes, etc. that are starting to come in.  The only method I have ever used was the old fashioned stove top canning pot, etc.  I'd be interested in hearing from those of you that might be using an electric/digital pressure cooker or any other method to can your tomatoes and vegetables, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Canning-Pressure Cooker or Old Fashioned Method?

I have canned tomatoes in the water bath, as well as pressure canner, and I absolutely prefer the pressure canner. I actually trust the pressure canning method more, for those foods I store for a longer period of time, such as green beans and tomatoes.
Esteemed Contributor

My Mother and G-Mother canned everything for years!   From my experience with 3 different electronic PC's - I wouldn't trust them - ever!  Top of the stove not only heats faster then electric (read the reviews) and no electronic clock - count down feature to worry about.  Clock and count down has been an issue for me with the new fangled modern types.  After ditching my e-cookers I just bought a top of the stove regular size PC.

Good Luck.........................

Trusted Contributor

I've only canned with the old fashioned water bath method.  I always thought there was a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely agree with you, Redtop.  I have an old fashioned "jiggler" pressure canner and it works every time.  I didn't want the one with the gage since they need to be calibrated or have their calibration checked.  Why take the risk? 

Honored Contributor

Certain foods require pressure canning to be safe, and foods that one normally does in a water bath canner, can be done in the pressure canner as well. 

The key is the acidity in foods, that make it safe or unsafe to water bath can. Many people for generations have thought it safe to can tomatoes in water bath only. Now there is thought out there that some tomatoes don't have enough acidity to make this safe.

To be sure, buy the Ball Blue Book of canning. It is considered the Bible of canning procedures and processes. Don't guess on which method is best, and always follow tested and safe canning recipes. 

I have never used a pressure COOKER to can, only a pressure canner. I wouldn't trust a cooker, even though they say they are safe.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to use this site National Center for Home Preservation and Ball Canning for up to date canning information and recipes.

Trusted Contributor

I have my MIL's regular water bath canner that I use for pickles and other relishes and condiments. But I use my pressure CANNER (not COOKER) to can my red onion relish, corn, tomatoes, etc. It's much safer.

As another poster mentioned, do not confuse a pressure COOKER for a pressure CANNER. They are not the same. You should never try to can in a pressure cooker. I also agree about the Ball Blue Book of Canning; it's an excellent book. I'm on my second copy as my first one eventually fell apart.

Respected Contributor

I loved my pressure canner.   I gave it to a dear friend when I moved here.  Since I can't grow anything I have nothing to can.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone.  I ordered a new Ball Canning Book and I'll follow their instructions for canning my tomatoes, etc.