Trusted Contributor

So, I feel a little guilty talking about this issue.  I have a Vitamix and I think I should be making my own bread crumbs.  Does anyone make their own bread crumbs?  What kind of bread do you use?  Do you add spices?

That said, let's get to the heart of the issue.  I usually use Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs (to bread my chicken breast).  The other day my cousin gave me some of her Aleia's Gluten Free Italian Bread Crumbs.  They're pricey, but they were very good.  They had a good flavor and they were thicker than regular bread crumbs.  I really liked them a lot.

So let's talk about bread crumbs...do you have a fave?  Or something you've tried that you wouldn't purchase again? 

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Can we talk bread crumbs?

[ Edited ]

Yes, I make my own. I also bake my own bread, and mill my own flour. What kind of bread I use depends on the recipe I'm using them for. I tend to use white bread crumbs for some things and whole wheat bread crumbs for others. If I'm making panade I usually use whole wheat, if I'm making a dessert with a crumb topping I use white. I keep them ready to go in the freezer. If I want them seasoned, then I season it just before using. I don't store them preseasoned. 

Personally I don't like the store bought ones, they're like sand IMO. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

If there's left over Italian or French bread I leave the bread out overnight, or bake in oven for a few minutes before it gets golden and use a stand up grater to make the crumbs.

I leave some plain, and season some.  I always have a canister of Progresso Plain and Italian crumbs on hand though.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 wrote:

So, I feel a little guilty talking about this issue.  I have a Vitamix and I think I should be making my own bread crumbs.  Does anyone make their own bread crumbs?  What kind of bread do you use?  Do you add spices?

That said, let's get to the heart of the issue.  I usually use Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs (to bread my chicken breast).  The other day my cousin gave me some of her Aleia's Gluten Free Italian Bread Crumbs.  They're pricey, but they were very good.  They had a good flavor and they were thicker than regular bread crumbs.  I really liked them a lot.

So let's talk about bread crumbs...do you have a fave?  Or something you've tried that you wouldn't purchase again? 

Look at the ingredient list. It's a REALLY long list and not healthy . It's not hard to make your own. Process old bread and add seasonings or use PANKO and add seasonings.

Respected Contributor

I use Progresso dry breadcrumbs a lot. I buy the plain ones, because I can always add spices or herbs to them.

If a recipe calls for fresh breabcrumbs, I make them from firm bread, white or wheat, that I tear into pieces and put in the blender. Run the blender until crumbs form. This makes soft breadcrumbs.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a Vitamix, so can't help there. But for store bought bread crumbs I recently switched to Panko. Much lower sodium level. I just add my own spices. My family didn't even notice when I made the switch.

Respected Contributor

I don't make Panko (don't know how) but I do make fresh or dried crumbs in my Nutribullet. I save up dried ends of French bread or use fresh bread when called for. Takes a second. Then I freeze the crumbs in small snack bags, because then they won't get moldy. Take out as needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I save the heels (ends) of loaves of bread and use them to make crumbs.  Sometimes I add herbs, sometimes not.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I use the Progresso Italian bread crumbs and Panko depending on what I'm cooking. I do also make my own and add italian dry herbs to them. I prefer leftover Italian bread when I make mine but white bread works. I prefer to make them but it depends on how muuch time Ihave and how much I need for what I'm cooking. 

Honored Contributor

I also have a Vitamix and it honestly never entered my mind to make bread crumbs.

I like panko or something like Italian-seasoned bread crumbs that I can purchase.

I do make my own crouton-type things for a couple of things, including the dressing (Thanksgiving) I make.

To just pulverize bread really doesn't even sound appealing to me, but that's just me and I get that.  Smiley Happy   I wonder if you toast (oven) and season the bread and then pulverize it, if the seasoning would even stay on.  I just don't like the idea of nekkid, flavorless, bread crumbs.