Respected Contributor

Can You Bake With land O Lakes Softened Butter (In the tub)

I am going to make Banana Bread but all I have in the house is this  softened butter but not sure if you can bake with it. Has anyone done so and how did it come out? I looked on tere website but it doesn't say.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Bake With land O Lakes Softened Butter (In the tub)

[ Edited ]

I would not. 

Butters and margarine in the tubs are usually made up with other chemicals in them to make them smooth, and aren't the same as regular stick butter.

I'm not familiar with this particular product, so read your label carefully, but if it has anything other than butter in it, you will get a much different result, including easier burning, and a different texture, most likely more spreading of the cookie, or bread that isn't as firm.

It certainly won't hurt you, it may just give undesired results.

Esteemed Contributor

Sure. 

My favorite recipe for bananna bread uses 3T vegetable oil for 1 loaf.  Don't see why you couldn't substitute another fat.

Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies the container does say it has canola oil in it. I will just go to the store and get stick butter and let that soften. Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You CAN use it, but  the end product will NOT be the same as your usual result...and you may be disappointed.

Super Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I am going to make Banana Bread but all I have in the house is this  softened butter but not sure if you can bake with it. Has anyone done so and how did it come out? I looked on tere website but it doesn't say.

Hi cuddlesmama

I realize that I am probably too late to save you a trip to the store, but if it is the land o lakes spread in the red package, then yes you can use it for baking.  I have used it for a variety of mixes and scratch baked goods with no problems.  I found this out a few years ago from the land o lakes website, when I had a last minute baked goods request. Maybe this will save you a trip to the store next time.

tkins

Respected Contributor

Thank you for that info. I didn't know that much appreciated!!

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Thank you for that info. I didn't know that much appreciated!!

And I second @cuddlesmama  sentiments as I didn't think you could swap one for the other . . . thanks everybody!