Honored Contributor

Boxed cake mixes 🤔🤔🤔 ( found out why!🙄)

[ Edited ]

Well today I figured out why the loaf was small.  I have 2 different sizes of loaf pans - the one I used today is the traditional size (turned out perfectly) the other is a "meatloaf" size pan with insert for grease drip. I never realized it til today when I was in my baking pan closet the difference in the size! 😳

------------

Orig post:

Ok may be having another moment...I made a lemon pound cake from Kruestaz mix today in loaf pan.

wow was I disappointed in the size of the loaf (height) it was very short 1/2 the depth of a traditional loaf pan height. I checked the box and the pan is the recommended size.  I was thinking not enough mix for a traditional loaf pan.

Havent bought a box mix in awhile has the mix amount shrunk but kept the box the same!  The cake was delicious though!

Respected Contributor

Re: Boxed cake mixes 🤔🤔🤔

Yes, they've done that with a lot of products.  Packaging doesn't seem smaller, but you really have to check the weight or volume.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check out Cake Mix Doctor.com as she has a remedy for the shortage in the mixes these days. 

She has many cookbooks all of which rely on the old weight measures so she had to figure out a fix for the mix. (Just a little bad humor there...LOL)

If I recall it's to add 6 tablespoons to make up the difference. I'll check.

Smaller Cake Mix Fix: Many cooks have been frustrated to watch cake mix package sizes shrink lately. But do not despair! If you are accustomed to baking my recipes with 18.25-ounce mixes, there is a simple way that you can add flour to the smaller mixes and still bake Cake Mix Doctor recipes. Pour the cake mix into a large bowl and whisk in 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Now proceed as the recipe instructs. Not only will the cake achieve good volume, but it will have a nice structure and slice evenly. I learned this trick years ago before the mixes were downsized. If I added a little flour to the cake mix, then the cake seemed to have more body, and it did not sink or shrink when cooling. I hope you enjoy this simple solution!

Anne Byrn signatureThe Cake Mix Doctor
Respected Contributor

I wanted to add though that I think for a single loaf like you baked OP I would maybe only add 3 tablespoons of flour.

Honored Contributor

@Melania

Thank you for the tip, I never heard of this book or the cake dr.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We buy King Arthur mixes.  We live about 1/2 hour from the Vermont store.  They are wonderful.  And they're a generous size.